News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Refurbs, yea or nay?

Started by DontSayBanana, November 10, 2009, 10:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Well, I've got too many computers (3 Compaqs, a Dell, a Cybernet Elite-II "Zero Footprint PC," and the laptop from which I'm posting).  Mostly, they're not real usable- one of the Compaqs is a 486 that I was going to put Windows 3.1 on as a nostalgia piece, and the Cybernet is one of those crazy over-soldered proprietary "form factors" that only leaves enough room for a single PCI expansion slot; it looks like my prime candidate is the middle Compaq- it claims to be ATX form factor (the newest one is uATX, so I can't really get a motherboard that'd fit in it anymore), so I'm wondering if, with some hacking of the hard drive cage, it could be made to accept a more modern motherboard (it's currently sitting with a P2 600 MHz in it).  I wouldn't even try with the Dell because of Dell's whacky "easy connector" schemes- I'm sure that hacking that cage would be more trouble than its worth.  Any opinions?
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Nay.

I should have read the post.

I really don't know what you are asking?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Cases are the least of concerns when buying a new computer. Just get a new case.
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Basically, 3 of my 5 computers are mothballed.  I'm thinking of modernizing one so that I can use it as a starting point for a pieced-out gaming rig, assembled over time.  Does anybody with some familiarity with those older Compaq towers know if it really is close enough to ATX spec for me to gut it and start putting in a new mobo, processor and hardware, or is it one of those ones that claims to be "ATX" just because it's a tower layout with stacked PCI ports?
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

You shooting yourself in the foot by wanting to build a computer out of those thing.

Get yourself a modern real case, something like the HAF922 or 932.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 10, 2009, 10:00:47 AM
one of the Compaqs is a 486 that I was going to put Windows 3.1 on as a nostalgia piece
:huh: Why on earth would you want to do that?  I understand C64/SNES nostalgia... but what memorable software ran under Windows 3.1?  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2009, 10:58:39 AM
one of the Compaqs is a 486 that I was going to put Windows 3.1 on as a nostalgia piece
:huh: Why on earth would you want to do that?  I understand C64/SNES nostalgia... but what memorable software ran under Windows 3.1?  :huh:
Microsoft Word 6.0. :contract:

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2009, 10:58:39 AM
Old DOS games.

I'm really not understanding what you're doing here...cases cost £40 or so. Good modern internal components on the other hand are closer to £100. The case is one of the cheaper things to buy when building a new computer.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Dude there are plenty of DOS emulators.  You don't need Win 3.1 to do anything in DOS.

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on November 10, 2009, 11:47:43 AM
I'm really not understanding what you're doing here...cases cost £40 or so. Good modern internal components on the other hand are closer to £100. The case is one of the cheaper things to buy when building a new computer.

QFT.

First time I ever said that for a Jos post... :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Caliga