Main Menu

A NATO Without Turkey?

Started by jimmy olsen, November 08, 2009, 07:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Ancient Demon on November 08, 2009, 05:56:50 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 08, 2009, 05:55:25 PM
Quote from: Ancient Demon on November 08, 2009, 05:52:08 PM
The Turks have already been lost, and it's not just about Europe. I think too few people realize just how deeply hated the United States is in Turkey (and no, Obama didn't make much of a difference). Sure, the moderate government will go through the motions of being an ally for a little while longer, but at it's core Turkey is definitely not a friendly country.
But you should remember its unfriendly as in France. Not unfriendly as in Iran.

Really?

http://pewglobal.org/database/?indicator=1&mode=chart

The Turks seems to hate everyone, though. From the same website, their opinions of Russia, China, and the EU are almost as low.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Viking

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 08, 2009, 10:33:51 PM

The Turks seems to hate everyone, though. From the same website, their opinions of Russia, China, and the EU are almost as low.

Jepp, and everybody (except the americans) seem to reciprocate.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

Quote from: Viking on November 08, 2009, 10:36:16 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 08, 2009, 10:33:51 PM

Jepp, and everybody (except the americans) seem to reciprocate.

Well, it's kinda understandable. Most Europeans' first hand experience with Turks is with Turkish immigrants. In Vienna about 20+% of inhabitants are first or second generation imigrants. Plenty Ex-Yugos, East Europeans, some Blacks, Indians, East Asians and many Turks. All groups - though having distinct communities - see learning German as a key to success and acceptance ... except one group where third generation kids still struggle to learn German when they enter kindergarten or school ... guess which one.

Hint: it's the same group where more than 50% say they're superior to all others because they are followers of Islam and that Islamic views should enter Austrian law.

Further hint:

Tellingly, colleagues just returned from a business trip to Istanbul. They were surprised to (seemingly) see *less* women and girls with headscarves than in Vienna.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

That probably reflects where Vienna gets it's Turks from Syt. I've been assured by friends and family that have visited Istanbul that the city is much more Western than expected. Maybe the Turks in Vienna come largely from some eastern hellhole.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 09, 2009, 12:12:36 PM
That probably reflects where Vienna gets it's Turks from Syt. I've been assured by friends and family that have visited Istanbul that the city is much more Western than expected. Maybe the Turks in Vienna come largely from some eastern hellhole.

Why?  Why would they do live in a city full of degenerate westerners they despise?  Why don't they immigrate to a Muslim country?

I just do not get it.  It makes me overjoyed with our immigrants.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 09, 2009, 12:12:36 PM

That's what I'm getting at; I get the same feedback. The large majority of Turks coming to Germany or Austria are not from the Western parts of Turkey (which are on par with the rest of the geographical area) but from the poor/conservative East who migrate for economic reasons - many of them of course called by the respective European governments when workers were scarce.

You'll most likely notice immediately when you meet a West Turk, because they'll be much more likely to speak German, have a decent job and/or uni degree and will look down on the East Turks (who live by the bushel in my district).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Richard Hakluyt

I guess they are there for the money  :huh:

Syt might be able to give us more info.

All of these immigrations have a different background and story. Turkish immigrants to Britain are not generally regarded as a problem. But we do have a problem with our Pakistanis. Maybe we are getting better Turks than the Germans and Austrians  :D  I do know that most of our Pakistani immigrants come from a backward and conservative area in Pakistan, which is probably the main problem rather than their religion.

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 08, 2009, 08:58:40 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 08, 2009, 06:04:53 PM
You just did that though. You said really and posted a link that shows nothing.

France 75% vs. Turkey 14% shows that your analogy was complete bollocks.
Not really.
French hate of the US is well known from the Iraq war days. Too many morons though think the only form of hate is outright 'kill kill kill'
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

:facepalm: On so many different levels.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Crazy_Ivan80

the best of both worlds would of course be a turkey without turkey. If only the Asia Minor Greeks hadn't turned traitor but instead had opted to fight their barbaric oppressors.

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 09, 2009, 12:22:55 PM
I guess they are there for the money  :huh:

Syt might be able to give us more info.

A lot of them stem from guest workers from way back when. They worked, stayed here, brought (extended) family over. Many of those were called for work in production, and come from por areas, often not having visited a school in Turkey. Later there were political refugees (mostly Kurds). In 2000 there were ca. 2 million Turks in Germany, 750,000 of those born there. In 2008 the number was down to 1.7 million, but about 300,000 had been naturalized in the meantime. Since 2000, kids of Turkish parents automatically get German citizenship. In 2008, 700,000 naturalized Turks lived in Germany.

30% of Turks or those with Turksih roots have no school degree, only 14% have Abitur (A Level?). According to official statistics, over 40% of Turks in Berlin are unemployed. Over 40% of Turks or naturalized Turks are threatened by poverty.

Hell, even the Turkish Prime Minister, when visiting Germany in 2008 and speaking to a Turkish/Turk-German audience pointed out that while he rejected assimilation of the Turks, he urged them to learn the local language if they wanted to make any headway.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 09, 2009, 01:00:41 PM
Turkish/Turk-German audience pointed out that while he rejected assimilation of the Turks

Well it is sort of hard to stay apart from the German culture and know German.  Eventually you will become a German sorta Turk.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Warspite

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2009, 01:05:38 PM
Turkish/Turk-German audience pointed out that while he rejected assimilation of the Turks

Well it is sort of hard to stay apart from the German culture and know German.  Eventually you will become a German sorta Turk.
He probably meant more extreme 'assimilation' in the sense of being forced to reject your heritage, I would imagine.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Valmy

Quote from: Warspite on November 09, 2009, 01:28:34 PM
He probably meant more extreme 'assimilation' in the sense of being forced to reject your heritage, I would imagine.

Yeah I have actually never heard of that sort of assimilation.  That sounds like a scare tactic, some sort of straw man to attack.  OMG!  Don't give an inch or you will lose your Turkishness foreva!

They will simply be Germans who have Turkish ancestory and cultural traditions who will feel very Turkish...until they go back to Turkey someday and realize how very German they actually are also.  Like most "assimilated" immigrants.

Queequeg

Hell, even the Turkish Prime Minister, when visiting Germany in 2008 and speaking to a Turkish/Turk-German audience pointed out that while he rejected assimilation of the Turks, he urged them to learn the local language if they wanted to make any headway.
Assimilation is a much harder process than is generally presumed. We in America had a great amount of difficulty assimilating radicalized 48ers, even though they went on to be one of the most crucial components of the US Army in the Civil War.  Same goes with the Irish, the Italians, even the Jews. 

I don't doubt that things will improve, with time.  Just remember that it is not that uncommon for second and third generation immigrants to identify with their supposed homeland far more than would seem logical. But it tends to work out in the end. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."