Societies don't have to be secular to be modern

Started by citizen k, October 23, 2009, 02:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I'm the winner in this thread. For not arguing this stupid shit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Anyway, I must commend miglia for his resilience, even if arguing with grumbler is like arguing with a dirty old pig.

Ed Anger

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 25, 2009, 07:58:52 PM
Is grumbler haram or halal?

I wouldn't eat Grumbler.  He's way past his due date.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2009, 08:05:58 PM

So he is like that fruitcake that has been in the cabinet for 50 years?

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 25, 2009, 08:06:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2009, 08:05:58 PM

So he is like that fruitcake that has been in the cabinet for 50 years?

Liberace?

Ed Anger

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on October 25, 2009, 07:11:40 PM
I'm gonna need a cite on that one.  Evolution generally takes place over thousands, and tens of thousands, of generations.  You are talking about events that occurred within the last twenty to thirty generations.
Not at all.  Evolution happens all the time.  That said, significant evolutionary change, even within a species, is usually at minimum in the hundreds of generation ranges.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2009, 07:53:41 PM
Can we introduce a rule against arguing with posts line by line, the way grumbler does? It makes the entire thread unreadable.
No.  Because you want it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on October 25, 2009, 08:20:19 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2009, 07:53:41 PM
Can we introduce a rule against arguing with posts line by line, the way grumbler does? It makes the entire thread unreadable.
No.  Because you want it.

What if we simulataneously make a rule against making replies as you read the thread, ending up with 5 or 6 consecutive posts saying almost exactly the same thing?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 25, 2009, 08:42:34 PM
What if we simulataneously make a rule against making replies as you read the thread, ending up with 5 or 6 consecutive posts saying almost exactly the same thing?
How would Martinus feel about that?

Maximus

Pat

Quote from: Neil on October 25, 2009, 08:18:46 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 25, 2009, 07:11:40 PM
I'm gonna need a cite on that one.  Evolution generally takes place over thousands, and tens of thousands, of generations.  You are talking about events that occurred within the last twenty to thirty generations.
Not at all.  Evolution happens all the time.  That said, significant evolutionary change, even within a species, is usually at minimum in the hundreds of generation ranges.

Indeed, breeding dogs wouldn't be feasible if evolution was something that took place over thousands and tens of thousands of generations.

Lactose tolerance only came about quite recently (after agriculture and animal husbandry) and yet 95% of swedes are now lactose tolerant.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: miglia on October 25, 2009, 09:15:54 PMand yet 95% of swedes are now lactose tolerant.

Really? Another fucking weird Swede thing.

Pat

Highest prevalence of lactose tolerance in the world; some try to explain it by hypothesizing there was a separate evolution of lactose tolerance in Sweden