Started by viper37, October 21, 2009, 12:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

That's too old, that doesn't count.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on October 28, 2009, 05:35:27 PM
I went to public school, so I started with computers that had to start with DOS 3.1 floppy.  Beat that.

That's the same era as ProDOS, which also had to boot off of a 5.25" floppy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadBurgerMaker

Beeb, you'll be pleased to know my first computer ever was an Apple IIc. 

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

I saw an original Macintosh with my own eyes on my 7th grade art teacher's desk.

Caliga

First OS was Commodore BASIC 2.0.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

First OS for me was Windows 3.0 on a 386.
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 28, 2009, 09:29:53 PM
First OS for me was Windows 3.0 on a 386.
Windows 3.0 wasn't an OS, it was a DOS program.

DontSayBanana

Actually, it was neither; it was a DOS shell. :nerd:

I choose to view it as an OS because I rarely, if ever, ran the computer from DOS instead of the GUI in Windows.  Of course, I spent most of that time playing with paintbox or a trajectory game where you had to shoot bananas from a cannon at King Kong.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 28, 2009, 05:41:24 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 28, 2009, 05:35:27 PM
I went to public school, so I started with computers that had to start with DOS 3.1 floppy.  Beat that.

TRS-80. 1 computer. Not per classroom.

My elementary school had a couple of those.  Good times.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

I will say though that the first Windows PC I owned ran Win98.  First Windows PC I used regularly for work ran Win95.  Before that it was pretty much just my C-64 and Atari 1200XL.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Alatriste

Sinclair Spectrum+ , 48 mighty Kilobytes at your orders  (original Spectrum had only 16) :P

First 'real' computer, Amstrad PC1512 running DOS 3.3. My friends envied me because my PC had two 5.25" floppys.

Threviel

First OS was Workbench 3.1 or 3.2.

Damn good OS that was, a shame that the computer had no hard drive so I only started it up sometimes when I was really bored.

viper37

So, I got Win 7 Home Premium yesterday and proceeded to upgrade one of my computer.
It took over 2hrs to perform the upgrade.

Gone is the classic Start Menu...  Shame.  I liked that.
Gone is the classic Control Panel, replaced that horrible thing used under Vista by default.  Hate that.

However, it seems to run faster and the interface is less cluttered than on Vista.  The tray icons on the right is replaced by a single button from wich you can then see all your icons.  I like that.

Haven't played any game yet, so I don't know, really.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.