News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Freebies poll

Started by Martinus, October 16, 2009, 01:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Someone offers you a choice of one of two freebie refreshments. One is considerably more expensive/valuable than the other. Do you...

...choose the more expensive refreshment; you can easily buy the cheaper one later if you want it, but you may not be able to afford the more expensive one that easily.
4 (8.7%)
...choose whichever you fancy more, irrespective of whether it is more or less expensive one.
40 (87%)
...choose the less expensive one; you don't want to appear as if you went for the more expensive one just because it is expensive.
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on October 16, 2009, 03:03:59 PM
The "high class" thing to do would be to take what you fancy regardless of price. Any other position implies that you are considering the price.

The middle class thing to do would be to take the cheap option, to show you are politely not making yourself a parasite.

The low class thing to do would be to take the expensive stuff.

All one has to do is look at the poll results to see that that is baloney. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maximus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2009, 03:06:29 PM
All one has to do is look at the poll results to see that that is baloney. :contract:
As is any claim based on an arbitrarily-defined "class".

Malthus

The "high class" thing to do would be to take what you fancy regardless of price. Any other position implies that you are considering the price.

The middle class thing to do would be to take the cheap option, to show you are politely not making yourself a parasite.

Look at behaviour, not self-reporting.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Maximus on October 16, 2009, 03:09:59 PM
As is any claim based on an arbitrarily-defined "class".

Don't agree. Are you of the opinion that there is no such thing as a class difference?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maximus

Quote from: Malthus on October 16, 2009, 03:14:03 PM
Don't agree. Are you of the opinion that there is no such thing as a class difference?
Any such distinction would have to be based on arbitrarily-defined strata which in turn would have to be based on the experiences, resources, and general world-view of the person or persons who defined it. Since these basic conditions are unlikely to be similar except within groups smaller than than the class sizes they define, it is not a very useful structure except for discussion within said group.

Martinus

So we are in 100% agreement then. :)

Korea

Quote from: katmai on October 16, 2009, 02:02:39 PM
If the dumbass didn't want me to drink the expensive stuff, he shouldn't have offered it in first place duh.

I agree but I would drink whichever one I feel like drinking regardless of cost. 

I think if I were the one offering I would want the person to pick the more expensive one.  :huh:
I want my mother fucking points!

Martinus

Well, I'm curious to see what the Brits will say. Most people who answered so far were American, and Americans have a very un-European concept of social class (for example, last time we had this discussion, most Americans argued it is almost solely based on income/wealth).

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

I don't understand the question. Is the hypothetical is someone asks if you want a glass of dom perignon or a cosmo?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

The objective is to make me happy, not to cause damage.  I'll choose whatever I like. 

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on October 16, 2009, 02:00:18 PM
If the "someone" offering is a business like in your case, I take whatever I want.  If the "someone" is some person, or maybe a one-man business, I would possibly go with the cheaper option.

This is my answer.  If it's for business I'll take whatever I damn well want.

If I'm over at someone's house I would generally avoid the most expensive option at least, but otherwise would ask for what I would like.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

I find it amusing that such a question involves social class  :lol:

Agelastus

Quote...choose whichever you fancy more, irrespective of whether it is more or less expensive one

That's my actual and genuine response.

You do realise you skewed the results of this poll with your explanatory post, don't you?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Agelastus

Quote from: Monoriu on October 16, 2009, 07:23:23 PM
I find it amusing that such a question involves social class  :lol:

Everything's about class, dear boy, you either have it or you don't... :bowler:

More seriously, although definitions and terms differ between countries, I am confident that analogues to class exist everywhere, even in supposedly classless societies (see the Communist parties of the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe for good examples.)

And class depends on self-image as much as anything. My current status would see me marked down in a census as being lower/working class, from what I recall. In my mind, I am middle class (with upper class leanings), nothing else.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."