News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Freebies poll

Started by Martinus, October 16, 2009, 01:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Someone offers you a choice of one of two freebie refreshments. One is considerably more expensive/valuable than the other. Do you...

...choose the more expensive refreshment; you can easily buy the cheaper one later if you want it, but you may not be able to afford the more expensive one that easily.
4 (8.7%)
...choose whichever you fancy more, irrespective of whether it is more or less expensive one.
40 (87%)
...choose the less expensive one; you don't want to appear as if you went for the more expensive one just because it is expensive.
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Martinus

This poll was inspired by a couple of situations I've been in lately (like, being offered champagne or water while waiting for my data to be processed at a 5-star hotel reception), and surprisingly, even to me, I went with option no. 3.

I don't know if you will agree, but to me it is a classic middle class response, and shows a classic middle class phobia of being perceived as a lower class; option 1 is clearly the lower class response, and option 2 is the upper class response.

I wonder how it differs based on the society/country people come from - I suspect I may get more agreement over this from the Brits (which I found have very similar concepts of social class as Poles) than, say, Americans.

Anyway, curious about your views. :)

Jaron

I take the best I'm offered. If someone takes the trouble to pop the champagne and pour a glass, it would be rude to not accept, even if it wasn't specifically done for your sake.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on October 16, 2009, 01:40:40 PM
I take the best I'm offered. If someone takes the trouble to pop the champagne and pour a glass, it would be rude to not accept, even if it wasn't specifically done for your sake.

Well they just get that from the bar, so this is no different than getting a drink and paying for it.

Jaron

The point is they go through the trouble to prepare it, so be a gentleman and drink!

Ed Anger

Business situation? Grab what I can.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Grey Fox

What ever I fancy at the time. I don't care if champagne might be more expensive then water. I don't like champagne.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

lol can i be: upper class  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Caliga

If the "someone" offering is a business like in your case, I take whatever I want.  If the "someone" is some person, or maybe a one-man business, I would possibly go with the cheaper option.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

If the dumbass didn't want me to drink the expensive stuff, he shouldn't have offered it in first place duh.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Lettow77

Im confused. What does this have to do with homosexuality?  :unsure:
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Strix

I would take what I fancy. I am not a very pretentious person at this point in my life. I prefer comfort and things that I enjoy.

That's not to say that I am adverse to trying new things but prefer to do so in the right setting.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Strix

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 16, 2009, 02:18:36 PM
Im confused. What does this have to do with homosexuality?  :unsure:

Some like to be pretentious and avant garde.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Malthus

The "high class" thing to do would be to take what you fancy regardless of price. Any other position implies that you are considering the price.

The middle class thing to do would be to take the cheap option, to show you are politely not making yourself a parasite.

The low class thing to do would be to take the expensive stuff.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius