Anyone else looking forward to Dragon Age? (Spoilers and plot discussion here)

Started by Berkut, October 06, 2009, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Winkelried on December 01, 2009, 01:48:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2009, 12:53:35 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2009, 12:50:38 PM
I just got back from the Deep Roads. When I went in I had hardly any money. When I got back, after selling all the useless crap, I had 150 gold.

I sell off my stuff all the time and rarely get that much cash.  Interesting.

Sidequests from the mercenaries, mages collective etc. are your friend. Do them all even the crows ones.

And make deals with demons when given the chance.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

I'm playing a female elf.  Having discussions with Allistair and Leliana is quite funny :D

Also, I managed to bang both of them without breaking up with any of them.  So far so good...

EDIT: ah, and you can get into a 3some with Allistair and the chick at the Pearl.  Silly game :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jaron

Quote from: Queequeg on December 01, 2009, 10:41:58 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2009, 02:33:13 AM
Wasn't Vasilla the wife of the Archon who had Andraste put to death?
Marty is right, and Jaron is a fucking retard.  In the Temple, before the Dragon.

You're the fucking retard mr Russia is more exotic than Feralden.

And you're a moron if you think a dragon age game based in Tevinter would look anything like Byzantium.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Queequeg

Feralden looks like Wales and the Midlands, with occasional outings to Osgilliath.  I don't doubt that Orlais would have a lot of Gothic architecture, or that Tevinter would have a lot of domes. 

Jaron, I know you're a retard so I won't expect a good answer, but name something really, truly exotic you saw throughout the entirety of Dragon Age.  Cause I've seen Dwarves, Elves, and pseudo-Medieval/Renaissance cities before. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

Quote from: viper37 on December 04, 2009, 11:53:56 AM
I'm playing a female elf.  Having discussions with Allistair and Leliana is quite funny :D

Also, I managed to bang both of them without breaking up with any of them.  So far so good...

EDIT: ah, and you can get into a 3some with Allistair and the chick at the Pearl.  Silly game :D

Hehe, I had a MMF threesome with her and Zevran. :P

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on December 04, 2009, 11:53:56 AM

Good to know... :shifty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

Quote from: Queequeg on December 04, 2009, 04:15:19 PM
Feralden looks like Wales and the Midlands, with occasional outings to Osgilliath.  I don't doubt that Orlais would have a lot of Gothic architecture, or that Tevinter would have a lot of domes. 

Jaron, I know you're a retard so I won't expect a good answer, but name something really, truly exotic you saw throughout the entirety of Dragon Age.  Cause I've seen Dwarves, Elves, and pseudo-Medieval/Renaissance cities before.

Its all in the presentation. All SCI FI and FANTASY are generally rehashes of the same plot and setting elements.

I've never seen elves in ghettos, or dwarves presented the way they are in Dragon age. Most of the common elements of Dwarven society were present in Dragon age (live underground, long beards, excellent smiths, excellent masonry), but I've never seen them have such a violent cut throat society. I also think it is uncommon for humans to be as dominant as they are in Dragon age. Dragon age also goes for a slightly less fantasy role, I think, by limiting the role of fantasy creatures like dragons, demons, spirits, etc. Unlike in many fantasy worlds - Warhammer, Faerun and whatnot, the most dangerous foe are other humanoids.

I also think the absence of any active divinity is quite rare.

Barrister

Quote from: Jaron on December 04, 2009, 04:31:51 PM

:yeahright:

I can go as far back as Tolkein to show you a setting with "no active divinity"...

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on December 04, 2009, 04:15:19 PM

Its all in the presentation. All SCI FI and FANTASY are generally rehashes of the same plot and setting elements.

I've never seen elves in ghettos, or dwarves presented the way they are in Dragon age. Most of the common elements of Dwarven society were present in Dragon age (live underground, long beards, excellent smiths, excellent masonry), but I've never seen them have such a violent cut throat society. I also think it is uncommon for humans to be as dominant as they are in Dragon age. Dragon age also goes for a slightly less fantasy role, I think, by limiting the role of fantasy creatures like dragons, demons, spirits, etc. Unlike in many fantasy worlds - Warhammer, Faerun and whatnot, the most dangerous foe are other humanoids.

Actually Warhammer is a lot like that, UNLIKE Faerun. Warhammer is a cool setting because it is so "realistic".

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on December 04, 2009, 04:41:44 PM

I can go as far back as Tolkein to show you a setting with "no active divinity"...

Uhm, that's not true. In fact, Tolkien's setting has a very HEAVY active divinity. Both Gandald and Sauron are Maiars, subordinates of the gods.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on December 04, 2009, 04:47:51 PM

Uhm, that's not true. In fact, Tolkien's setting has a very HEAVY active divinity. Both Gandald and Sauron are Maiars, subordinates of the gods.

You have to go to the secondary books to get that fact however.  It's not at all obvious or apparent from reading LotR.

In any event lots of fantasy settings have done without Gods, or at least "active" Gods.

Jaron

Nonsense. Gandalf, Saruman, and Sauron were all heavenly beings.