News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Geocaching

Started by PRC, September 29, 2009, 11:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Has anyone here ever done any geocaching or participated in a group geocache scavenger hunt event?  I need to design one and have never really done it before.  Any advice or personal reflections on your experience with geocaching would be much appreciated.

Caliga

I have a handheld GPS and Princesca and I have often talked about doing it but have never gotten around to doing so.  According to some online db with geocaching coords there are like 20 caches in our county alone.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Strix

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2009, 11:44:46 AM
What's geocaching ? :unsure:

People place "hidden treasure" in various locations. You use a GPS device to find these items. It's like a scavenger hunt with a GPS. You get a clue that leads you to spot A which gives a clue for spot B and so on.

It's a neat way to make hiking a lot more interesting.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Josquius

My flatmate is always nattering on about it. I just don't get it though.

To look at his videos its not just hiking, stuff hidden in bridges and the like.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Strix

Quote from: Caliga on September 29, 2009, 11:48:33 AM
http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/search.pl?query=geocaching

This is Languish. It's considered poor form to Google. It's considered proper to ask someone what something is than come down on them like the WRATH OF GOD for not clearly explaining the issue at hand.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 29, 2009, 11:49:58 AM
That might be merited if he was the thread-starter.
Was meant for Timmy. :)

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2009, 11:44:46 AM
What's geocaching ? :unsure:
Dude.  This is Nerd 101 stuff. Has been for years.  No more Anime until you thoroughly research this issue and write a report.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on September 29, 2009, 12:24:31 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 29, 2009, 11:49:58 AM
That might be merited if he was the thread-starter.
Was meant for Timmy. :)

Yes, I know.

If you're having a conversation and somebody mentions something you're unfamiliar with, you ask them about it. You don't run to the encyclopedia.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Much more interesting:

http://www.androidapps.com/t/zombies-run

QuoteZombies, Run is a trans-reality game for the Android platform that pits you against a world full of zombies in a race for your life. This game requires you to have your GPS enabled and that you're outside before you can play. While this game does sound interesting, unfortunately, it falls a little bit short of expectations.

When you load up the game, you're greeted with two options to choose from which will basically determine your difficult level. They are Zombie Count and Zombie Speed. Zombie Count will determine how many zombies populate the area around you while speed let's you decide whether you're running from Dawn of the Dead zombies or 28 Days Later zombies.

After you select those options, the app will take it's time trying to figure out exactly where you are. Once it's done locating you, it will ask you to enter in an endpoint for your journey. This means that you can decide exactly where you want the game to end. Once you do that, the game begins and it's your job to get to your endpoint without running into any of those red dots the developers claim are zombies.

If you're looking for an app that will make your daily jog that much more interesting, Zombies, Run is a great way to accomplish that. Unfortunately this game isn't as zombie specific as the title would seem, considering the markers on the map are just red dots. It wouldn't be surprising if the developers simply renamed the app after different monsters and continued to release different flavors of it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Armyknife on September 29, 2009, 12:53:53 PM
I've hidden lots of little treasures all over the countryside.  :cool:

"The first clue was the toilet paper ... ".  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius