News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Roman Polanski arrested in Zürich

Started by Syt, September 27, 2009, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 30, 2009, 10:24:43 AM
on all the leftist sites I frequent (HuffPo, Advocate, some Polish ones)

How embarrassing for you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Ok, to follow up on Berkut's and my surprise about feminists - several famous Polish feminists came out and all condemn Polanski. Not that there is anything special about it, but in a situation when most of the so-called elites are detestable, being decent becomes almost heroic.

DGuller

I love how it seems that the overwhelming majority of posters on all the leftist sites I frequent (HuffPo, Advocate, some Polish ones) are shooting the elites out of water over their defense of Polanski.
That's not surprising.  Leftism leads to moral decay, not outright moral degradation.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on September 30, 2009, 10:52:25 AM
I love how it seems that the overwhelming majority of posters on all the leftist sites I frequent (HuffPo, Advocate, some Polish ones) are shooting the elites out of water over their defense of Polanski.
That's not surprising.  Leftism leads to moral decay, not outright moral degradation.

Err, how are you inferring this from the fact that all the leftists (like me) who frequent these sites are condemning Polanski and his defenders?  :huh:

Martinus

Essentially, the sequence of events after Polanski's arrest took this course:

Polanski's artist buddies ( :frog: ): OMG FREE POLANSKI!

Leftists ( :o) : YEAH WHAT THEY SAID! FREE POL... HEY WAIT A MINUTE!

:frog:: HE IS A GREAT MOVIE DIRECTOR!

:o: ERR I AM NOT SURE IF THIS...

:frog:: BESIDES THE SLUT DESERVED THIS!

:o: WTF! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND?!

I think this will create a solid backlash against the Hollywood (or the European equivalent) elites from their usual supporters/allies in the left, imo.

Berkut

The first one you did was better than the 5 edits that followed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 30, 2009, 10:20:29 AMsnip

One of the writers uses his Holocaust experience as an excuse for his actions.  :mellow:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on September 30, 2009, 11:17:34 AM
I think this will create a solid backlash against the Hollywood (or the European equivalent) elites from their usual supporters/allies in the left, imo.
I rather doubt it.  It's a momentary blip of common sense, but the left will be back to their old nonsense in no time.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Jaron on September 29, 2009, 09:09:40 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on September 29, 2009, 08:57:18 PM
Quote from: Jaron on September 29, 2009, 05:22:27 PM
I just hope if we manage to bring his perverted old ass back to the US he doesn't get some little slap on the wrist because of his status and sent free. I bet he doesn't get any real jail time though.

So he can be deported... as JR said if the sppropriate sentence was given, he'd likely be deported. That'd be useful: We got you now leave again. The system works.

He should fake his death like MJ and go to Monster Island.

No, he should spend the rest of his life in prison. That is the ideal ending.

at 76 he most likely will. My money is that if he stays in Swiss prison for months on end waiting for extradition. He will die in his sleep, and America will not get the Justice it wants.
:p

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on September 30, 2009, 09:08:58 AM
Well, I am not sure to be honest - there are so many conflicting accounts. My understanding is that he entered a plea bargain that was then rejected by the judge - but he was never found guilty, formally, by the grand jury. Could any US lawyer who actually knows details of the case explain what really happened?

My understanding is that, unless he enters a new plea bargain, he needs to be found guilty in order to be sentenced for the underage sex thing.

The judge never rejected the plea.  I honestly have no idea how the procedure will work now if he is succesfully extradited back to Cal.  I don't know if there is a mechanism that would allow him to withdraw the plea given the passage of time.   If there is some way he can pull that off, he might be in good shape assuming the victim actually holds to her statement that she would not testify against him.

However, the case on flight seems to me very rock solid and that can carry as much as 1 year.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on September 30, 2009, 12:00:48 PM
at 76 he most likely will. My money is that if he stays in Swiss prison for months on end waiting for extradition. He will die in his sleep, and America will not get the Justice it wants.
What Justice is it that you want?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 30, 2009, 12:38:54 PM
...If there is some way he can pull that off, he might be in good shape assuming the victim actually holds to her statement that she would not testify against him.
She can be compelled to testify, just like any other witness, can she not?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

ulmont

Quote from: grumbler on September 30, 2009, 12:53:05 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 30, 2009, 12:38:54 PM
...If there is some way he can pull that off, he might be in good shape assuming the victim actually holds to her statement that she would not testify against him.

She can be compelled to testify, just like any other witness, can she not?

It may depend on what state she lives in now, but it would look just great if the rape victim was thrown in jail for contempt of court...

Caliga

Quote from: ulmont on September 30, 2009, 12:57:00 PM
It may depend on what state she lives in now, but it would look just great if the rape victim was thrown in jail for contempt of court...
Justice is blind. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: ulmont on September 30, 2009, 12:57:00 PM
How could it depend on her state of residence?

I think the mere threat of prosecution for contempt would void her unwillingness to testify (if she can be compelled at all), given that the latter is based on her desire to just end all of this.

Bayraktar!