Main Menu

Roman Polanski arrested in Zürich

Started by Syt, September 27, 2009, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 30, 2009, 05:21:28 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on September 29, 2009, 08:18:48 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 29, 2009, 08:04:42 PM
Are we sure that he fled the prospect of only 48 days, or is that figure a result of misunderstanding the facts somewhere?

Well, I can't say I have personally seen the court documents, so I guess it all depends on whether or not you believe in the quality of CNN's researchers. I will say that it sounds a ridiculously low sentence for the nature of the crime, but I'm not au-fait with the standards of justice applied to celebrities in California in the 1970s.

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 29, 2009, 05:30:56 PM
I've read most of this thread, but in case it's never been posted:

The victim's grand jury testimony transcript:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0610081polanski1.html

The plea agreement transcript:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0928091polanskiplea1.html

The probation report, detailing the forensics of the rape victim:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/1203081roman1.html

There ya go.

I remembered after I retired last night that you had posted the links before I made my post, so I have no excuse for my lazyness. :Embarrass:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 30, 2009, 02:37:57 AM
It would be entirely reasonable to assume he meant the French government which doesn't sound unsympathetic to Polanski when one sees things like this:

Well that is the "Minister of Culture" who naturally is going to have his priorities skewed towards culture.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2009, 08:31:23 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 30, 2009, 02:37:57 AM
It would be entirely reasonable to assume he meant the French government which doesn't sound unsympathetic to Polanski when one sees things like this:

Well that is the "Minister of Culture" who naturally is going to have his priorities skewed towards culture.

Culture = assraping teenage girls? :D

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2009, 07:12:31 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on September 29, 2009, 07:11:20 PM
I'm bored, and don't wanna read 26 pages. So can someone sum it up and tell me who defended a man who drugged and forced himself on a thirteen year old girl?
France, Anne Applebaum,  and Whoopi Goldberg.
Yeah, I saw a clip of Whoopi on The View saying that it wasn't "Rape,Rape". I guess just regular rape, or not since it was consensual, with a kid? Wow. And we're putting school teachers in jail for having sex with kids, even where it actually is consensual. Whoopi is generally more rational, down to earth, or so I thought. What is it with Hollywood types and the celeb "machine" out in some force trying to defend this guy with lame arguments? And looking damn foolish trying to do so. Just because he's one of "them", part of their world?

Martinus

Latest argument I heard: "If Americans cared so much for his crimes, why did they give him an Oscar for the "Pianist".

:bleeding:

Martinus

Quote from: KRonn on September 30, 2009, 08:52:02 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2009, 07:12:31 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on September 29, 2009, 07:11:20 PM
I'm bored, and don't wanna read 26 pages. So can someone sum it up and tell me who defended a man who drugged and forced himself on a thirteen year old girl?
France, Anne Applebaum,  and Whoopi Goldberg.
Yeah, I saw a clip of Whoopi on The View saying that it wasn't "Rape,Rape". I guess just regular rape, or not since it was consensual, with a kid? Wow. And we're putting school teachers in jail for having sex with kids, even where it actually is consensual. Whoopi is generally more rational, down to earth, or so I thought. What is it with Hollywood types and the celeb "machine" out in some force trying to defend this guy with lame arguments? And looking damn foolish trying to do so. Just because he's one of "them", part of their world?

LOL some idiot Polish actress went on TV saying something along the lines: "As my 20 y.o. son can tell you, 13 y.o. girls can be very sexually aggressive and will try to get into a guy's pants at any cost."

I bet her son at home watching this went: SHIT  :huh:

Berkut

Why aren't woman's group just freaking out over this "Blame the victim" response to rape?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on September 30, 2009, 08:55:25 AM
LOL some idiot Polish actress went on TV saying something along the lines: "As my 20 y.o. son can tell you, 13 y.o. girls can be very sexually aggressive and will try to get into a guy's pants at any cost."
:blink: :unsure:
So?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Well, for people who *want* to believe Polanski, it is a matter of consensual sex with a 13 year old. Europeans tend to be less outraged than North Americans over that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on September 30, 2009, 08:56:35 AM
Why aren't woman's group just freaking out over this "Blame the victim" response to rape?

Heh this is what I've been wondering as well.

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 30, 2009, 08:59:28 AM
Well, for people who *want* to believe Polanski, it is a matter of consensual sex with a 13 year old. Europeans tend to be less outraged than North Americans over that.
Unless you know Polanski personally, I don't see why you'd have a particular inclination to believe him or not believe him.... I would think you'd judge the case on the surface based on what facts are verifiable about it.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on September 30, 2009, 08:58:33 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 30, 2009, 08:55:25 AM
:blink: :unsure:
So?

I guess it means the guy couldn't just resist it. Dunno. People are stupid.

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on September 30, 2009, 08:56:35 AM

I'm doing my best. :contract:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on September 30, 2009, 09:01:22 AM
I guess it means the guy couldn't just resist it. Dunno. People are stupid.
Yeah... the "so" was directed at her, not you. ^_^

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 30, 2009, 08:59:28 AM
I agree.  Not only do Euros think of 13-year-olds as more mature than Americans do, they probably ARE more mature in some Euro cultures.  That doesn't diminish the extent of the crime, though, since AFAIK only Spain of all the Euro countries has an age of consent as low as 13, and Polanski testified that he knew her age.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!