News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pigeon Prisoners of War

Started by Viking, September 10, 2009, 05:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

http://strangevehicles.greyfalcon.us/Nazi%20Pigeon.htm

QuoteNazi-trained homing pigeons were the target of British covert operations during WWII, it has emerged.

Scores of lofts of the message-carrying birds were pinpointed by MI5 agents in 1940 across Belgium, West Holland and the Balkans.

The airborne threat was believed to be the pet project of SS chief Heinrich Himmler - who was known by British intelligence as an avowed pigeon fancier.

Under interrogation, captured "German pigeon personnel" told how the birds were a vital component of Hitler's plans to invade Britain.

The MI5 report on the phenomenon, released with a batch of wartime secret service documents this week, said: "From these prisoners of war it was learnt that it was anticipated that the birds would be used to convey information obtained by short-term pre-invasion agents."

To counter the menace, MI5 tamed and trained its own crack force of peregrine falcons, with the aim of felling incoming pigeons.

According to documents now held at the Public Record Office in Kew, London, at least two of the captured pigeons became "prisoners of war".

Displaying humor in the midst of adversity, an intelligence officer marked in his report: "Both birds are now prisoners of war working hard at breeding English pigeons."

The new Army Pigeon Service Special Section birds of prey were used to set up an airborne net over the Scilly Isles early in 1942 following sightings of pigeons disappearing towards France.

The MI5 report notes Britain's new anti-pigeon force would patrol for two hours at a time over the islands off the Cornish coast.

It says: "This was a great success. The falcon flying high above the Scillies could watch not only a part of one island, but the whole group, and any pigeon flying over them would be attacked."

Agents had found that the Nazi party had taken control of all pigeon lofts in Germany after it assumed power, while Himmler had ordered the use of pigeons by his own Gestapo security police.

The British document notes: "It is said that Himmler, who has been a pigeon fancier and enthusiast all his life, is the head or president of the German National Pigeon Society.

"And he has brought his enthusiasm for pigeons into the Gestapo, who are said to use this form of communication both in Germany and in the occupied countries."

Intelligence officers also investigated ways in which pigeons were deposited in the UK. They believed some were carried in by individuals, and that some were dropped off in baskets by high-speed E-Boats and submarines.

Dropping pigeons by parachute was also identified as a possible method of their entering the country.

If I were a German Pigeon I'd try to get caught.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

BVN

DisturbedPervert

I've been waiting my whole life for a WWII Messenger Pigeon simulator   

BVN

Yes. I'm very curious how they will model the great strategic impact of the pigeons during the war.

Oh and I hope that the blue pigeon and the mountain pigeon will also be in the game. Those are cool.

Josquius

I just love how pidgeon keepers are called fanciers.
It just sounds so very wrong...
██████
██████
██████

Viking

BTW, can somebody move this to OTR.

My Bad. I'm sorry.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

KRonn

Nazis with their "bird brained" ideas...   ;)

Heh, pigeons were used quite a bit though I think, by all sides.

Razgovory

Pigeons were probably not the best vehicle to invade Britain.  Technical and logistical problems seem almost insurmountable. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Some of the commandos and partisans in France used pigeons to communicate at times. I read of UK commandos landing/parachuting in with pigeons to send messages back, probably to keep radio silence to avoid alerting the Germans. Situations like that I think is how pigeons were used for.

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on September 11, 2009, 08:37:17 AM
Some of the commandos and partisans in France used pigeons to communicate at times. I read of UK commandos landing/parachuting in with pigeons to send messages back, probably to keep radio silence to avoid alerting the Germans. Situations like that I think is how pigeons were used for.

Still you need a lot of pigeons to carry one of those vacuum tube radios.  They were pretty heavy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Quote from: Razgovory on September 11, 2009, 11:49:49 AM
Quote from: KRonn on September 11, 2009, 08:37:17 AM

Still you need a lot of pigeons to carry one of those vacuum tube radios.  They were pretty heavy.

:D

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point