And we're back!

Main Menu

The Hobbit to go forward

Started by Grallon, September 08, 2009, 10:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: saskganesh on September 09, 2009, 08:22:03 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 09, 2009, 01:47:01 AM
I mostly started buying only DVDs of movies I believed I could easily watch over and over again.

Then I realized that was really not so true.

Now I am thinking I should harshly narrow down that standard, and start using Netflix.   :P

a reasonable rule of thumb is that a "good" movie is something you can watch more than two times. the problem of course for many DVD purchasers is that this is not apparent until sometime during the second viewing.

Usually my "test" is, if it's a movie I might run across randomly on television, I can easily enjoy watching it, no matter part I catch it in. 

Then I use that rule to buy the DVD.

And never bother to toss it in to watch...maybe I'll catch it on TV again.

Of course, this defeats the purpose of buying the DVD.

garbon

I try only to buy movies that I've seen multiple times and still enjoy.  Pan's was a christmas gift...and I'd told the person the day before that I'd probably never want to watch it again. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

I like these kinds of movies, this genre, so I'll be looking forward to it.   :)

Josquius

I've still yet to see Pan's Labrnyth, I've got it around somewhere I'm sure too...can never be motivated for watching subbed films anymore though.

2 films?...odd.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Is this about Dildo Baggins, the Bobbit?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Brain on September 09, 2009, 12:36:00 PM
Is this about Dildo Baggins, the Bobbit?
I think Bored of the Rings would be a good movie to make. Sadly it wouldn't be a movie that would be made well.  Probably be destroyed by the hacks who purchased the Scary Movie franchise.
PDH!

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 09, 2009, 08:24:49 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on September 09, 2009, 08:22:03 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 09, 2009, 01:47:01 AM
I mostly started buying only DVDs of movies I believed I could easily watch over and over again.

Then I realized that was really not so true.

Now I am thinking I should harshly narrow down that standard, and start using Netflix.   :P

a reasonable rule of thumb is that a "good" movie is something you can watch more than two times. the problem of course for many DVD purchasers is that this is not apparent until sometime during the second viewing.

Usually my "test" is, if it's a movie I might run across randomly on television, I can easily enjoy watching it, no matter part I catch it in. 

Then I use that rule to buy the DVD.

And never bother to toss it in to watch...maybe I'll catch it on TV again.

Of course, this defeats the purpose of buying the DVD.

I don't have much of a test. I have come to the conclusion that everyone is allowed an expensive and pointless hobby, and buying books and DVDs is mine.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

ulmont

Quote from: Malthus on September 09, 2009, 01:20:55 PM
I don't have much of a test. I have come to the conclusion that everyone is allowed an expensive and pointless hobby, and buying books and DVDs is mine.  ;)

DVDs are quite competitive with moviegoing.  My local theatre is $9 for an adult matinee and $12 for an adult primetime movie.  For the price of two tickets I could just buy the DVD and watch it once.

Josquius

Quote from: ulmont on September 09, 2009, 01:25:32 PM

DVDs are quite competitive with moviegoing when the price of movie popcorn is factored in.
Even without.
Its something like £5 each for the cinema these days.
A newly released DVD is £15 or less.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

DVDs are quite competitive with moviegoing.  My local theatre is $9 for an adult matinee and $12 for an adult primetime movie.  For the price of two tickets I could just buy the DVD and watch it once.

Here it's about the same; not to mention spending $15 on popcorn and drinks.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

ulmont

Quote from: Tyr on September 09, 2009, 01:27:29 PM
Even without.

Yeah, I rechecked my numbers and edited appropriately.

Quote from: Malthus on September 09, 2009, 01:29:16 PM
Here it's about the same; not to mention spending $15 on popcorn and drinks.  ;)

My theatre sells beer.  A pitcher or two with the popcorn is substantially higher than $15. :(

Malthus

Quote from: ulmont on September 09, 2009, 01:35:02 PM
Even without.

Yeah, I rechecked my numbers and edited appropriately.

Quote from: Malthus on September 09, 2009, 01:29:16 PM

My theatre sells beer.  A pitcher or two with the popcorn is substantially higher than $15. :(

Well, I'd agree; but OTOH renting a movie is a lot cheaper.

Syt

Me and friends almost always go on mondays or tuesdays to the movies, because most theaters have reduced rates. Depending on size of the place and length of movie, and whether or not it's a digital projection, you pay between 5 and 8 EUR those days. On weekends it'd be plus 2 or 3 EUR.

A while me and some other folks would go to one of the multiplexes on friday nights. They'd show a (very bad) horror movie for "free" if you bought drink and food for 5 EUR.

Occasionally I go to one of the theaters that show "oldies" or classics, where you'll pay between 5 and 10 EUR.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DisturbedPervert

It's competitive on price, but there are certain movies I just want to see in a theatre.

jimmy olsen

DVDs are quite competitive with moviegoing when the price of movie popcorn is factored in.
Even without.
Its something like £5 each for the cinema these days.
A newly released DVD is £15 or less.

Which is why all movies will soon be 3D. I wouldn't be surprised if this one was.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point