Main Menu

Canadian Politics Thread

Started by crazy canuck, September 01, 2009, 04:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on November 23, 2009, 06:28:07 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2009, 06:27:00 PM
A concession of sorts?  On languish? :o

At the end of the day of course there's no absolute right or wrong answer to such a classification.  But Sasks has certainly struck me, both in person and on the boar, as being firmly left-of-centre.

Anybody on a boar will look a bit off-centre.  :D
Not a trained boar-rider.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on November 23, 2009, 05:56:12 PMBasically, anyone who might vote Liberal (federally) is a centrist, those who'd never consider it are either right wingers or left wingers depending whether they vote Conservative on one hand or NDP or Green on the other.

That's the Anglo analysis anyhow, not sure how it looks in Quebec.

Is the Green Party a leftist party? They confuse me, as they do many people, I think. Other than their tree hugging, most of their platform is pretty right wing.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on November 23, 2009, 10:37:13 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 23, 2009, 05:56:12 PMBasically, anyone who might vote Liberal (federally) is a centrist, those who'd never consider it are either right wingers or left wingers depending whether they vote Conservative on one hand or NDP or Green on the other.

Is the Green Party a leftist party? They confuse me, as they do many people, I think. Other than their tree hugging, most of their platform is pretty right wing.

The previous leader IIRC took a fairly market-friendly approach to environmental issues.  My brother, who sort-of shares my politics, got involved with them around that time.  That being said May is pretty staunchly left wing, as is most of their membership, so it's pretty fair to call them a left wing party despite what some of their written policies are.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grallon

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2009, 05:47:51 PM

Grallon of course is off in his own unique little corner.

It's called totalitarianism.  ^_^

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2009, 10:39:33 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 23, 2009, 10:37:13 PM

The previous leader IIRC took a fairly market-friendly approach to environmental issues.  My brother, who sort-of shares my politics, got involved with them around that time.  That being said May is pretty staunchly left wing, as is most of their membership, so it's pretty fair to call them a left wing party despite what some of their written policies are.

Maybe. To be honest, I don't pay much attention to them, and I wish they'd disappear.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on November 23, 2009, 10:42:02 PM

Maybe. To be honest, I don't pay much attention to them, and I wish they'd disappear.

I at least wish Elizabeth May would disappear.   :rolleyes:

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Josephus on November 23, 2009, 01:33:29 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on November 23, 2009, 01:17:11 PM
Yeah if the Libs plan on rebuilding and actually governing any time soon, they need an out of left field (not literally, more of a centre fielder in reality but you see what i'm saying) kind of leader, an Obama type, young dynamic, interesting. No one I can see on the horizon. Maybe they should adjust that to the 20th century natural governing party?

COUGH****Justin***COUGH

Gonna be awhile before that happens if it does.
:p

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2009, 05:47:51 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 23, 2009, 05:43:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2009, 05:40:30 PMI love ya sasks, but you're no centrist.  :hug:

Who are Canadian centrists in your estimation?

Malthus and CC come to mind.  Grey Fox perhaps, although he doesn't talk enough serious politics for me to be sure.  HVC I think.

Pretty much everyone else comes down on one side of the spectrum or the other.

Left:
you, buddha, sasks, josephus

Right:
me, Neil, Viper,

Grallon of course is off in his own unique little corner.

I've voted Tory. Also Liberal, NDP and a plethora of weirdo fringe parties as well. I like to spread the love around.

saskganesh

I am on the far left side of the centre or the hard right wing of the left.

I thought Gary Doer was a successful and good premier. When Janice MacKinnon speaks, I will listen to her. When Charlie Angus votes against the long gun registry, I think he's justified.

and... awesome:
humans were created in their own image

Barrister

BuddhaRhubarb

saskganesh

certainly a good enough premier for Mister Harper to make him the key ambassador for his administration. :P
humans were created in their own image

Barrister

Quote from: saskganesh on November 23, 2009, 10:59:42 PM
certainly a good enough premier for Mister Harper to make him the key ambassador for his administration. :P

It took out a political opponent. :shifty:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on November 23, 2009, 05:56:12 PM

Quebec is rarely seperated on a Left vs Right basis.

It's either a Separatist vs Federalist or ROC vs us.

I'd say I'm a left leaning centrist. Altho, not sure I would seriously consider voting for the Liberals.

I wish there was a party for me.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grallon

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 24, 2009, 08:53:42 AM
Quote from: Jacob on November 23, 2009, 05:56:12 PM

Quebec is rarely seperated on a Left vs Right basis.

It's either a Separatist vs Federalist or ROC vs us.

I'd say I'm a left leaning centrist. Altho, not sure I would seriously consider voting for the Liberals.

I wish there was a party for me.

The Liberals have fucked Quebec over so many times here's to hope we see them disappear altogether in Quebec.  :contract:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel