Friends, foes mark WWII’s beginning in Poland

Started by KRonn, September 01, 2009, 09:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Communism in theory is either antithetical to freedom or entirely incoherent.

Communism in practice has been so uniformly dismal and awful that even if (hypothetically) it seemed wonderful in theory, the only logical conclusion for a sensible person to draw at this point is that theory is horribly wrong.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zanza on September 02, 2009, 10:28:03 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2009, 09:13:46 AMIncidentally, Holocaust was not a part of the "nazism theory" any more than gulags were part of the "communism theory".
I disagree with that assessment. Genocide is a core tenet of Nazism, whereas it is only coincidental with Communism.

The Kraut has the right of it.

The systematic murder of "undesirable peoples" is simply the consquence of taking nazism to its logical conclusion.  Literally a final solution to the problem the ideology defines at the outset and sets out to overcome.

Communism as an ideology does not as a matter of pure logic require mass murder, it just so happens that mass murder is one of the few techniques that is sufficiently effective for coercing human beings into complying with the system, and hence is often resorted to by communist regimes that want to stick around for more than a few weeks.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

God Marty, can't you keep yourself from collaborating with the Germans for a few seconds?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 02, 2009, 01:52:47 PM
Quote from: Zanza on September 02, 2009, 10:28:03 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2009, 09:13:46 AMIncidentally, Holocaust was not a part of the "nazism theory" any more than gulags were part of the "communism theory".
I disagree with that assessment. Genocide is a core tenet of Nazism, whereas it is only coincidental with Communism.

The Kraut has the right of it.

The systematic murder of "undesirable peoples" is simply the consquence of taking nazism to its logical conclusion.  Literally a final solution to the problem the ideology defines at the outset and sets out to overcome.

Communism as an ideology does not as a matter of pure logic require mass murder, it just so happens that mass murder is one of the few techniques that is sufficiently effective for coercing human beings into complying with the system, and hence is often resorted to by communist regimes that want to stick around for more than a few weeks.
If the system/ideology requires mass murder and suppression of other ideas, because so many people won't accept it, then it can't be good.   

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on September 02, 2009, 09:08:49 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2009, 09:00:00 AM

Communism in theory is far more horryfing than in practice.
:lmfao:
No.
In theory its a perfect society.
Its never going to work of course but taking it purely as it is on paper there's something rather wrong with you if you think its evil.
The only anti-commuism argument with any merit is the standard one against Utopia in the traditional sense; it would be boring.
Perhaps you could make a argument from that that a standard capitalist democratic system is better. We need a bit of suffering and inequality to make life worth living.
But worse than a totalitarian dictatorship?
No.

The description that Marx gives of communist society doesn't even make sense.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2009, 09:00:00 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 02, 2009, 08:55:32 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2009, 08:52:21 AM
Yeah but most of you fuckers allow the waving-around of red stars and red flags while you dont let nazis do the same with swastikas

Nazism= 100% total evil
Communism= Spotty. In theory its quite nice. In practice it hasn't always went to nazi level evil.

Communism in theory is far more horryfing than in practice.

Good.  Your people deserved it.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2009, 02:36:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 02, 2009, 02:35:11 PM

For betraying their King-Emperor?

For joining Germany, for taking it's piece of the Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia and Romania.  Hungary invaded the Soviet Union with it's eyes wide open.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 02, 2009, 02:41:25 PM
For joining Germany, for taking it's piece of the Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia and Romania.  Hungary invaded the Soviet Union with it's eyes wide open.

You are right on the first part but Germany had to arrange for the Soviet airforce to bomb Hungary to get the Hungarians to declare war on the USSR.

Romania was the only Axis ally eager to join in the attacking of the Soviets, but only to get the territory Stalin took from them back.

Since Hungary and Italy had no interest in getting any Soviet land they were less interested.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2009, 02:46:39 PM

You are right on the first part but Germany had to arrange for the Soviet airforce to bomb Hungary to get the Hungarians to declare war on the USSR.

Romania was the only Axis ally eager to join in the attacking of the Soviets, but only to get the territory Stalin took from them back.

Since Hungary and Italy had no interest in getting any Soviet land they were less interested.

Heh.  Hitler also got the Poles to take a German Radio station...

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2009, 02:36:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 02, 2009, 02:35:11 PM

For betraying their King-Emperor?

:rolleyes: for starters, we did not take any land from czechslovakia, yugoslavia and romania. We took back what was ours. We choosed an abysmal ally to achieve that, true, but the fact remains: we were taking back what was ours.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2009, 02:51:56 PM
:rolleyes: for starters, we did not take any land from czechslovakia, yugoslavia and romania. We took back what was ours. We choosed an abysmal ally to achieve that, true, but the fact remains: we were taking back what was ours.

That little thing called the Treaty of Trianon said otherwise.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2009, 02:55:36 PM

It's all Woodrow Wilson's fault.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 02, 2009, 03:00:41 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2009, 02:55:36 PM

Fuck that.  The Huns shouldn't have been allowed to keep a country in the first place.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 02, 2009, 03:00:41 PM

It was really Hungary's great misfortune to have a Communist Revolution right when the land was being parcelled out.  Bad timing.

Besides the US didn't sign the treaty anyway.