News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lori Drew "Cyber-Stalker" Case Tossed

Started by The Minsky Moment, September 01, 2009, 09:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2009, 11:44:02 AM
Well not being a Cali-called lawyer I can not state this with 100% certainty, but I am 99.999% sure you are wrong.

Seriously? We can be charged with breaking California law sitting at home? That's bullshit if true.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2009, 11:46:39 AM
Well not being a Cali-called lawyer I can not state this with 100% certainty, but I am 99.999% sure you are wrong.

Seriously? We can be charged with breaking California law sitting at home? That's bullshit if true.
I guess if the server is in cali land then the law was technically broken in california. that's the only example i can think of
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Think about it.  If you hack into a Cali-based computer and steal money, you have committed a crime in California.  Also in your home jurisdiction.  You can be charged in either place.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2009, 11:49:38 AM
Think about it.  If you hack into a Cali-based computer and steal money, you have committed a crime in California.  Also in your home jurisdiction.  You can be charged in either place.

Being true doesn't make it less ridiculous.

ulmont

Quote from: HVC on September 01, 2009, 11:49:27 AM

I guess if the server is in cali land then the law was technically broken in california. that's the only example i can think of

That was the reason for this prosecution in California, yes; the myspace servers were unauthorizedly accessed (according to the government theory of the case) in California.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Jaron on September 01, 2009, 10:53:42 AM

YEAH! So you guys better stop telling me to go shoot myself. :P

Jaron, go be careless with your physical safety.

...Not quite the same ring to it.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2009, 11:54:28 AM

Being true doesn't make it less ridiculous.

Why?

There's lots of examples where the criminal is physically located in one jurisdiction, and the victim is in the other.  Imagine sending a mail bomb.  The victim is in one spot, the criminal in the other.  Why should the criminal only be prosecuted in the place most convenient for him?

This is not a new principle at all.  It's just with the internet it's much easier to cross jurisdictions than ever before.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2009, 12:39:36 PM
Why?

People who aren't living in or visiting California shouldn't be expected to know California law. The internet should be purely federal jurisdiction.

Jaron

So if the age of consent is 14 in Arkansas and 18 in CA, should FB be able to go online and have hot cybers with 15 year olds in California ??? Is that what you're advocating?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2009, 12:43:42 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2009, 12:39:36 PM
Why?

People who aren't living in or visiting California shouldn't be expected to know California law. The internet should be purely federal jurisdiction.

That would be a massive expansion of federal jurisdiction. :mellow:

The same principle also holds true in dealing with international jurisdictions.  If you commit a crime in Canada via the internet you can be charged in Canada, even if you've never stepp foot outside of your parents basement.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2009, 12:46:29 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2009, 12:43:42 PM

That would be a massive expansion of federal jurisdiction. :mellow:

Not really.  The Lori Drew trial was in fact federal based on the interstate nature of the Internet, and Congress could preempt any state regulation (including relevant criminal proceedings) of the Internet if it so desired.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2009, 12:46:29 PM
The same principle also holds true in dealing with international jurisdictions.  If you commit a crime in Canada via the internet you can be charged in Canada, even if you've never stepp foot outside of your parents basement.

Classy.  <_<

Caliga

Yeah, this happened with that hacker dude that stole credit card info from companies like TJ Maxx and Heartland Payment Systems.  He committed the crimes from his home in Florida but was charged in Massachusetts for the former and New Jersey for the latter.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Interstate crimes are under federal jurisdiction. IIRC, federal judges can choose to hear state offenses in interstate cases, but are under no legal obligation to do so; in practice, the plaintiff's state of origin, defendant's state, and the federal judge have to come to agreement on charges in interstate crimes, when it comes to state felony charges.
Experience bij!