News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Escalators, and the people who love them

Started by CountDeMoney, August 30, 2009, 06:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you use escalators?

I stand still on them like a fucking mook.
17 (28.3%)
They may be moving, but they are still stairs. Keep walking.
31 (51.7%)
I'm pretentious, and prefer to use the real stairs next to them.
5 (8.3%)
I prefer to use the handicap-accessible elevator, like every black woman.
0 (0%)
Depends on my mood, because I'm garbon.
7 (11.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on August 30, 2009, 09:16:47 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 30, 2009, 09:01:04 PM
There is no such thing as a next train in my books.  Or next bus, next lift, next anything.  Do, or die.   

Really? Is that really the motto for your life?

I don't really have a motto of my life  :lol:

But yes it is a habit of mine.  I am one of those who crash through closing doors of trains, forcing them to re-open while disregarding the disdainful stares of everybody else.  Even when I am doing a leisure walk on a Sunday afternoon.

Monoriu

Our train network uses a single female voice for all the pre-recorded public announcements.  Once my wife played some Youtube video that contains the "train to Hong Kong is approaching" line on our home computer.  I almost fell out of the bed and instinctively started moving my legs when I heard that one  :D

Eddie Teach

Stand still usually. I feel self-conscious when I walk on them because nobody else ever does and I don't like jostling.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

On my commutes I usually stand still so I can keep reading my book, laughing at people who run down, almost falling over themselves, just so that they can get onto a train now and not in 3 minutes when the next one pulls in.

When I'm in a hurry I do walk.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: saskganesh on August 30, 2009, 06:20:41 PM
I take the stairs. they are empty.

This. Also, people who delay trains because they can't wait two minutes always make me laugh, it's just so silly.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

The Larch

Quote from: Monoriu on August 30, 2009, 08:17:44 PM
If I am on an escalator and I hear "train to xxxx is about to arrive", I run like hell.  Which is like 80% of the time, because the train comes every 2 minutes.

What's the point of that? If another train for the same destination is arriving in a couple of minutes, why rushing?

I saw that a lot when I was living in Madrid. As soon as the incoming train could be heard, people on the escalators would begin to go mad and start running, even when they were totally calm and still beforehand. I mean, if you're on a hurry you'd be running before, not when the train was about to arrive.

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on August 31, 2009, 03:38:43 AM

I saw that a lot when I was living in Madrid. As soon as the incoming train could be heard, people on the escalators would begin to go mad and start running, even when they were totally calm and still beforehand. I mean, if you're on a hurry you'd be running before, not when the train was about to arrive.

Speaking from experience, when I sound the depart-tone that's when people start running, and even if it means that the doors close people still desperately push the open button. In that way they give me many giggles through the day.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

Quote from: The Larch on August 31, 2009, 03:38:43 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 30, 2009, 08:17:44 PM
If I am on an escalator and I hear "train to xxxx is about to arrive", I run like hell.  Which is like 80% of the time, because the train comes every 2 minutes.

What's the point of that? If another train for the same destination is arriving in a couple of minutes, why rushing?

Because arriving at my destination two minutes earlier is more desirable than arriving two minutes later?  And because I don't mind running a short distance?

Monoriu

One of the most memorable scenes was during a typhoon.  When a typhoon approaches Hong Kong during working hours, we evacuate.  This happens a few times a year.  As you can imagine, when everybody gets off work and goes home at exactly the same time, the train system struggles to cope. 

When I arrived at the platform, I saw a fully loaded train that was waiting to depart.  Since it was full, people started queueing up on the opposite platform, waiting for the next train. 

Of course, as the notion of a "next train" did not and still does not exist in my books, I picked a spot where I saw a tiny opening, and squeezed myself in. 

That was not the end of the story.  As a public service and selfless act of sacrifice, I pushed so hard that I made enough room for 4 more people to get in. 

Because of my noble efforts, 5 people, including myself, got home 2 minutes earlier. 

It was also the first time I had difficulty breathing in a train.

Razgovory

I'm not a fucking douchebag so I don't run up or down an escalator.  I also don't jump up and down on the elevator trying to make it go down faster.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

I'd make an excellent soldier. I'm a warrior at heart.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on August 31, 2009, 04:43:26 AM
I'm not a fucking douchebag so I don't run up or down an escalator.  I also don't jump up and down on the elevator trying to make it go down faster.

Running up or down an escalator is good from a crowd management standpoint.  The capacity of an escalator to transport people depends on whether people are willing to walk and how fast they walk/run.  If everybody decides to drive 20 km/hour on a road, then fewer cars can go through.  Standing still on an escalator is, therefore, selfish :contract:

PDH

Quote from: Razgovory on August 31, 2009, 04:43:26 AM
Moron.  Pushing the button 100 times makes the elevator go faster.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM