Main Menu

Europa Barbarorum AAR?

Started by Queequeg, August 28, 2009, 08:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Faeelin on September 10, 2009, 12:02:10 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on September 09, 2009, 10:06:04 PM
Fae, are you still playing?

I plonked away a bit. But I have to be honest, I also downloaded Stainless Steel and find it more compelling.
I'd keep at it.  It takes a while to get used to all the complexity and the difficult, but its replay value is nearly unlimited.  SS is good, but a bit ahistorical for my taste, and I think MTW just had too many weaknesses to fully address all of them, which makes me very concerned for EBII, which uses the MTW engine.  The idea of seeing Asawaran-i Asadan charge past winmills and mosques is a bit...weird. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Iormlund

What do you need to play this mod? RTW:Gold?

Queequeg

Quote from: Iormlund on September 10, 2009, 02:25:39 PM
What do you need to play this mod? RTW:Gold?
There are mods to make it work with any iteration of RTW, though meant for Vanilla.  I'm running it on Alexander for the graphics and AI improvements, but it runs on Gold as well.  IIRC in the Gold mod you can use shield wall and units can swim, which is nice.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Octavian

Quote from: Queequeg on September 10, 2009, 12:15:10 PM

I plonked away a bit. But I have to be honest, I also downloaded Stainless Steel and find it more compelling.
I'd keep at it.  It takes a while to get used to all the complexity and the difficult, but its replay value is nearly unlimited.  SS is good, but a bit ahistorical for my taste... 
:yes:
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Faeelin

Quote from: Queequeg on September 10, 2009, 12:15:10 PM

I'd keep at it.  It takes a while to get used to all the complexity and the difficult, but its replay value is nearly unlimited.  SS is good, but a bit ahistorical for my taste, and I think MTW just had too many weaknesses to fully address all of them, which makes me very concerned for EBII, which uses the MTW engine.  The idea of seeing Asawaran-i Asadan charge past winmills and mosques is a bit...weird.

Hrmm. Having now grown tired of sacking Rome as the Moors, I see what you mean.

Faeelin

Okay, I warmed up again. But is there a way to make peace? It's 260 BC and I've taken Sicily, Sardinia, and Corsica from the Carthaginians. I don't want to press onwards into Africa, since I want it to be semi-plausible. Ideas?

Queequeg

Quote from: Faeelin on September 12, 2009, 03:07:57 PM
Okay, I warmed up again. But is there a way to make peace? It's 260 BC and I've taken Sicily, Sardinia, and Corsica from the Carthaginians. I don't want to press onwards into Africa, since I want it to be semi-plausible. Ideas?
Cheat.  Add a ton of money and offer it to them if they accept peace.  This will make them stronger and make fighting against them funner. 

If I were you, I'd start giving money to the Seleucids pretty soon.  And anyone else fighting the Ptolomeys, as the Ptolomeys are overypowered and annoying.  They aren't even that great of an enemy, as they lack the Seleucid's diversity or extremely potent reformed "Roman-style" infantry. 

Also, be sure get the northern Italian cities so you can get the Polybian reforms.  The allied units are war-winning, especially the cavalry.  Equites Extraordinarii are truly fantastic, war winning if used properly and you avoid prolonged skirmishes. 

Faeelin

247 BC, and i've got Northern Italy and Massalia as well. I'm debating going for a knock out blow against Carthage, but upon reflection it's really Epirus that's uppity.

Also, for some reason I can't merge naval units togther.

Queequeg

Quote from: Faeelin on September 12, 2009, 08:46:14 PM
247 BC, and i've got Northern Italy and Massalia as well. I'm debating going for a knock out blow against Carthage, but upon reflection it's really Epirus that's uppity.

Yup.  The EB Rome campaign is basically designed for you to follow history, so waiting a little bit to expand, and then hitting most of the shores of the Western Medditeranean with Polybius, develop some MICs, then just go totally, completely apeshit once you hit Marian. 

Have he Polybian reforms hit yet? They should have if you have Sicily.  Make sure to ALWAYS hit your advisor.   ALWAYS.  Also, I'd keep in mind the requirements for the Marian reforms, I think it is

45 Settlements
8 Latifundae in Italy
Popularis, Talented General with Good Logistics
At Least 220 BC

Once you hit that the real fun starts; you can recruit full legionaries from any substantially developed faction MIC, your legionaries are better and can form testudo, you get siege weapons, though, sadly, you loose Equites Extraordinarii. 

What does your average army look like?  Oddly enough the Manipular system works really well, I found, just make sure there isn't any space from your first line to your second.  IIRC there is a minimod that makes one of the auto-formations the classic maniple, pretty nice.   

Queequeg

Also, although I've always had a few weird stability problems with it, the Roman campaign in Spain is just fun as shit. The Luisitainians are by far and away the toughest Barbarian faction you are likely to face in great numbers, and they have some brutal units.  Not to mention that Carthage, always the coolest to fight as Rome, is also there.  I like to play it during the Marian period, as Spain is a huge source of income, has good recruitable native troops, is right across from Italy and is just about the coolest bit of Western Europe anyway (all of this was historically true anyway).

Queequeg

I'm planning to write the AAR of the battle of Pergamon in dactylic hexameter.  It will be pretty long.  Stay tuned this week.

Queequeg

I am totally fed up with the Alexander mod, doing another install. 

Jaron

Quote from: Queequeg on September 13, 2009, 10:19:43 PM
I'm planning to write the AAR of the battle of Pergamon in dactylic hexameter.  It will be pretty long.  Stay tuned this week.

:nerd:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Queequeg

Quote from: Jaron on September 20, 2009, 01:06:37 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on September 13, 2009, 10:19:43 PM

:nerd:
Milton was right.  Dactylic Hexameter is fucking impossible in English.

Lucidor

Quote from: Faeelin on September 12, 2009, 08:46:14 PM
Unless the captain is a 0 star one without any traits, you can't take his flagship from him. Some countries get a trait for their regular captains, which can make it merging 1 + 1 impossible.