News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Minsky Moment

Started by crazy canuck, March 23, 2009, 04:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I had to look up JR's new moniker.

The first google link was to a New Yorker article describing Minsky and his ideas about financial instability.  The article was from February 2008.  One line caught my attention:

QuoteToday, with the subprime crisis seemingly on the verge of metamorphosing into a recession...

The article goes on to comment on how economic policy needs to change.  Prophetic words.

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2008/02/04/080204taco_talk_cassidy

DGuller

Good article, and good thinking by Minsky (though obviously I'm a very biased observer).  I think that the most important goal of Obama's administration would be to reform financial regulation, and to also protect those reforms so they won't get torn down as "too onerous or outdated" during the next mania. 

Unfortunately, Obama's actual performance so far has been highly disappointing, IMO, and did not match his unusually insightful rhetoric.  I hope he gets better at it, or that I'm wrong about it.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: DGuller on March 23, 2009, 04:16:07 PM
Good article, and good thinking by Minsky (though obviously I'm a very biased observer).  I think that the most important goal of Obama's administration would be to reform financial regulation, and to also protect those reforms so they won't get torn down as "too onerous or outdated" during the next mania

Exactly how do suggest that he do the bolded part? 

KRonn

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 23, 2009, 04:03:48 PM
I had to look up JR's new moniker.

The first google link was to a New Yorker article describing Minsky and his ideas about financial instability.  The article was from February 2008.  One line caught my attention:

QuoteToday, with the subprime crisis seemingly on the verge of metamorphosing into a recession...

The article goes on to comment on how economic policy needs to change.  Prophetic words.

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2008/02/04/080204taco_talk_cassidy
Well that's an interesting read. Seems that this Minsky person was quite prophetic after all! And it seems his ideas of the boom-bust cycle has been happening as a normal economic course anyway.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on March 24, 2009, 01:58:49 AM
Good article, and good thinking by Minsky (though obviously I'm a very biased observer).  I think that the most important goal of Obama's administration would be to reform financial regulation, and to also protect those reforms so they won't get torn down as "too onerous or outdated" during the next mania

Put Phil Gram in a box.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Good question.

Fate

Kick Texas out of the Union.

Valmy

Quote from: Fate on March 24, 2009, 10:20:01 AM
Kick Texas out of the Union.

Hey you fought a war with Mexico over who got stuck with Texas.  I hear Mexico won.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."