I do both
9 (17%)
With at least one tire on Jaron's head
2 (3.8%)
I am a tree hugger, I don't drive!
8 (15.1%)

Total Members Voted: 51

crazy canuck

I see BB has adequately dealt with [The person who obviously does not drive] who thinks one can parallel park without going into reverse.  Isnt that the very definition of parallel parking.....

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 25, 2009, 05:42:39 PM
I see BB has adequately dealt with [The person who obviously does not drive] who thinks one can parallel park without going into reverse.  Isnt that the very definition of parallel parking.....
You *can* go the other way if your car is dinky and the space is huge.

HisMajestyBOB

Anyone who backs into a non-parallel parking spot is a jerk.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Maximus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 25, 2009, 05:48:18 PM
:huh: That is the correct way according to the driver's manual I had when I started driving. It's also usually easier to back into a space than out of it.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

FunkMonk

Always pull forward when I park in a normal spot. If there are two open spots opposite each other sometimes I'll park in the opposite spot so it's easier to leave.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maximus on August 25, 2009, 06:59:23 PM
:huh: That is the correct way according to the driver's manual I had when I started driving. It's also usually easier to back into a space than out of it.

Yup.  We were taught that way in the poo-lice academy as well.
And yes, you can navigate out of a space better than hitting someone you can't see.  Nothing like watching two HisMajestyBoB morons back into each other coming out of parking spaces at the mall.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 25, 2009, 10:31:56 PM
Quote from: Maximus on August 25, 2009, 06:59:23 PM

Yup.  We were taught that way in the poo-lice academy as well.
And yes, you can navigate out of a space better than hitting someone you can't see.  Nothing like watching two HisMajestyBoB morons back into each other coming out of parking spaces at the mall.

:huh:

In southern Florida, backing in is illegal in most municipal lots.

Ed Anger

I park in the expectant mothers spot.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: vonmoltke on August 26, 2009, 08:12:30 AM
In southern Florida, backing in is illegal in most municipal lots.
Lots of places have that law if the herringbone parking is one-direction.  It has to do with exiting into the flow of cars...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 25, 2009, 05:44:31 PM
You *can* go the other way if your car is dinky and the space is huge.

True, but then you are not parallel parking.  You are just driving directly into the spot.

On a driver's test the applicant has to demostrate they can parallel park.  If the applicant simply drove forward into a spot because there was enough space to do that, do you think the tester would pass them?

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2009, 09:22:09 AM
On a driver's test the applicant has to demostrate they can parallel park.
I didn't have to do this when I took my test.  Princesca did, and she failed the first time because of it.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on August 26, 2009, 10:19:54 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2009, 09:22:09 AM
On a driver's test the applicant has to demostrate they can parallel park.
I didn't have to do this when I took my test.  Princesca did, and she failed the first time because of it.
I had to do it.  On my first try I parked about a foot from the sidewalk.  The test instructor told me to pull closer, which I tried to do, only to impressively come back to the same exact spot.  He rolled his eyes and told me to drive away.

Grey Fox

I didn't have to parallel park either on my exam. Only had to back in a parking spot. Haven't done it since.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

I did have to paralel-park on my exam but the free space was big, yet the instructor did not care. Which was fine since my teacher told me earlier that I have l33t parallel parking skillz anyway. Too bad I almost never have to parallel-park anymore so I am completely out of practice and have some problems when I actually do have to.  :Embarrass:

Edit: and I pull forward almost all the time, unless the fit hits me to reverse into the space.