News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What makes a person a particular race?

Started by merithyn, August 13, 2009, 09:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I think there is a basic fallacy in the question, and that is an assumption that the definition of race is universal, rather than culturally-specific to begin with.

The race means something different in the white-dominated West than in Eastern Asia, for example. I would say that the race is whatever the dominant culture and ethnicity in a given area considers to be a race.

For example, I'd say that in the white-dominated West, races are not equivalent in a logical sense. Essentially, imo, you are white only if you both biologically and culturally white. If either of this is absent, you are something else.

Razgovory

It's what the census office says you are.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Octavian

Quote from: derspiess on August 13, 2009, 09:41:40 PM
Racially speaking, I'm 75% Buckeye & 25% West Virginian.  I grew up in West Virginia.  But now I live in Ohio.  What am I???  :unsure:

A hick :P
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Tamas

Your race is a given, you are white/black/Jaron/whatever regardless of anything else. But that does not determine your personality traits one bit.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on August 14, 2009, 02:11:01 AM
I think there is a basic fallacy in the question, and that is an assumption that the definition of race is universal, rather than culturally-specific to begin with.

The race means something different in the white-dominated West than in Eastern Asia, for example. I would say that the race is whatever the dominant culture and ethnicity in a given area considers to be a race.

For example, I'd say that in the white-dominated West, races are not equivalent in a logical sense. Essentially, imo, you are white only if you both biologically and culturally white. If either of this is absent, you are something else.

We're Americans, we don't give a fuck what happens in Fruitistan or Poland, for that matter.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on August 14, 2009, 02:30:57 AM

The census office asks you...and depending on the options that they give you, you can be of different races. I remember learning that by the rules/organization of different census takings, I would have been black one year, white another (when children of mixed race were assigned their mother's race) and then mixed (had I been alive at all those points).  That's not very good at telling me what my race is. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2009, 03:29:33 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 14, 2009, 02:30:57 AM

The census office asks you...and depending on the options that they give you, you can be of different races. I remember learning that by the rules/organization of different census takings, I would have been black one year, white another (when children of mixed race were assigned their mother's race) and then mixed (had I been alive at all those points).  That's not very good at telling me what my race is. :P

The question is what race are you.  Not what race were you.  If the census says that you were black one year and white another then that's how it is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

Tamas, given that hungarians are so gloomy, how can you say that?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

stjaba

Quote from: merithyn on August 13, 2009, 10:28:56 PM
In the U.S. a person has the option of choosing "White - Non-Hispanic" or "Hispanic White". For most of my life, because of my genealogical roots, I've chosen the former. Lately - as in the last year or so - I've been choosing the later. This is becoming an issue because I am applying for grad school this fall, and I've put down that I am Hispanic, because that is what I am culturally. This means that according to the school, I am a minority.

You're being a tad dishonest, in my opinion. Hispanic is an ill-defined term, no doubt. It is not a racial classification, so a Hispanic can be white, Asian, black, etc. The "official" government definition follows:

QuoteHispanic Origin. Persons of Hispanic origin...are determined on the basis of question that asked for self-identification of the person's origin or descent. Persons of Hispanic origin, in particular, are those who indicated that their origin was Mexican-American, Chicano, Mexican, Mexicano, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Hispanic.

What's clear is that the basis of being Hispanic is one's origin or descent. Since your origin or descent, as far as you know, does not include anyone who is Hispanic claiming that you are Hispanic is kind of silly. Hispanic is basically a cultural/geographic term, but to be Hispanic you have to have been born in a Hispanic country or your blood parents or grandparents have to be Hispanic.

Luckily for you, no one "checks" your Hispanic-ness, so you should be fine, but I just think it would be embarrassing explaining to someone that you claim yourself as Hispanic on the basis of living with a Mexican family for several years and eating burritos.

I Killed Kenny

You can be African and you can be Black, or you can be American or you can be White.

You can't be a White Black, but you can be a White African.

Race is biology and culture is something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 13, 2009, 10:38:11 PM
Its just absolutely implausible, and I hear it often enough that I had to snort. If breeding was random instead of selection based, perhaps then sure. But as it is? Some dystopian nightmare from a world-that-isnt, and nothing more.

It's happening dude. My cousin and my step-sister are both married to black people. Then look at the forum- Hans, Jacob, *derspiess, and Gaijin all have interracial marriages, probably as well a few I'm forgetting or don't know about.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: stjaba on August 14, 2009, 05:36:10 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 13, 2009, 10:28:56 PM
In the U.S. a person has the option of choosing "White - Non-Hispanic" or "Hispanic White". For most of my life, because of my genealogical roots, I've chosen the former. Lately - as in the last year or so - I've been choosing the later. This is becoming an issue because I am applying for grad school this fall, and I've put down that I am Hispanic, because that is what I am culturally. This means that according to the school, I am a minority.

You're being a tad dishonest, in my opinion. Hispanic is an ill-defined term, no doubt. It is not a racial classification, so a Hispanic can be white, Asian, black, etc. The "official" government definition follows:

QuoteHispanic Origin. Persons of Hispanic origin...are determined on the basis of question that asked for self-identification of the person's origin or descent. Persons of Hispanic origin, in particular, are those who indicated that their origin was Mexican-American, Chicano, Mexican, Mexicano, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Hispanic.

What's clear is that the basis of being Hispanic is one's origin or descent. Since your origin or descent, as far as you know, does not include anyone who is Hispanic claiming that you are Hispanic is kind of silly. Hispanic is basically a cultural/geographic term, but to be Hispanic you have to have been born in a Hispanic country or your blood parents or grandparents have to be Hispanic.

Luckily for you, no one "checks" your Hispanic-ness, so you should be fine, but I just think it would be embarrassing explaining to someone that you claim yourself as Hispanic on the basis of living with a Mexican family for several years and eating burritos.

That's what I thought as well, seems to be a flimsy reasoning, IMO, unless there's more to it than what Meri is telling.

Jaron

Quote from: Octavian on August 14, 2009, 02:31:32 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 13, 2009, 09:41:40 PM
Racially speaking, I'm 75% Buckeye & 25% West Virginian.  I grew up in West Virginia.  But now I live in Ohio.  What am I???  :unsure:

A hick :P

:yes:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 14, 2009, 06:12:18 AM
It's happening dude. My cousin and my step-sister are both married to black people. Then look at the forum- Hans, Jacob, *derspiess, and Gaijin all have interracial marriages, probably as well a few I'm forgetting or don't know about.
*raises hand* :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

America is a strange place, over there race does seem to very much have culture tied into it.
Here though its just skin colour.
Blacks can be totally British and raised by whites but to suggest they're not black is silly.

Quote from: Peter WigginIt's happening dude. My cousin and my step-sister are both married to black people. Then look at the forum- Hans, Jacob, *derspiess, and Gaijin all have interracial marriages, probably as well a few I'm forgetting or don't know about.

Many would even go as far to say that interracial marriages aren't just normal and acceptable but even on a base biological level desirable- you would be naturally attracted to someone with radically different genes to yours.
(then of course counter to this there are some who hold you look for a partner that resembles your mother and...other oddness)
██████
██████
██████