Ever owned any?

Yes
7 (41.2%)
No
10 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Josquius

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 11, 2009, 06:39:27 AM
The confusion is over what the fuck a budgie is...
:BLINK:
You don't have them in the US?
I thought they were one of the world's most common pets...

██████
██████
██████

DisturbedPervert

Looks like a parakeet.  I've never heard the word budgie in my life.

Josquius

It is a kind of parakeet I think.
Its properly called a budgerigar. I guess budgie is the kind of shortening more typical with British-Australian than American.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

I had never heard Budgie before either.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

I've heard of them but always in a British context, don't think many people keep that breed here.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

I'm 5'2". To me, highwaters were crop pants that were too long.  :blush:

That being said, a number of the kids at my daughter's school wear them as they wear uniforms, and parents will keep a kid in the uniform pants well beyond when the kid should have passed them on to another.

Growing up, we had enough kids in the neighborhood that no one had to wear highwaters. The parents all just passed clothes around as needed to make sure everyone had something that fit. The sole exception was Phil Ramos, who was 6' in 6th grade. As the tallest in the neighborhood, he always wore them.  :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

We called them "floods". And you are right, I don't really see them these days.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DontSayBanana

Floods aren't possible for me; the reason I'm so short is because my legs are- when you wear a 33x29, pants are always too long, if anything.
Experience bij!

KRonn

I never heard the term high waters. I don't remember if I wore them as a kid; my parents  certainly had to work hard to make ends meet, so I'm sure I had to make do and maybe just didn't usually realize it. I did wear some of my older brother's stuff, and my parents swapped clothes with my cousins.

Malthus

I have no real idea, but I get the impression the average family with kids simply was poorer 30 odd years ago. Maybe this is a function of people having kids when younger - it was much more common then for people to have kids while starting their careers, rather than the other way about (and to have more kids). My dad for example had the first of the three of us when he was a graduate student ... having to wear secondhand clothes wasn't that unusual.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

What with 5 dollar pants from china it is has been cheaper to get new pants than to fix pants.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

Yeah I think the cheaper clothes angle is most likely it.
These days I've known for people to go on holiday to Turkey and the like with cheap £3 t-shirts and that sort of thing for the kids and just leave them there for the cleaner to give to her kids when they come home.
██████
██████
██████

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Malthus on August 11, 2009, 08:35:56 AM
I have no real idea, but I get the impression the average family with kids simply was poorer 30 odd years ago. Maybe this is a function of people having kids when younger - it was much more common then for people to have kids while starting their careers, rather than the other way about (and to have more kids). My dad for example had the first of the three of us when he was a graduate student ... having to wear secondhand clothes wasn't that unusual.

They're also having fewer kids. 

Malthus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 11, 2009, 08:51:49 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 11, 2009, 08:35:56 AM

They're also having fewer kids.

Yup.  :D

DGuller

Isn't clothing much cheaper these days?