Started by jimmy olsen, August 05, 2009, 10:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

1. Risky medical experiments.

2. Chop up for parts.

3. Blood sports.

4. Penal legions in the WoT.

5. Etc...

These don't compete with legitimate private business.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on August 06, 2009, 02:10:20 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 06, 2009, 01:51:07 AM
Mono, forced labour is considered a human rights violation in the civilized world. Not that you care, being a fucking savage Chinaman.

Seriously, you seem to be the only Asian we have here, and you seem to confirm every horrible racist stereotype of Asians. What gives?

I think it is quite normal for prisoners to engage in (forced) work of some kind.  Whether it is a human rights violation all depends on the way it is implemented.

It can't be forced and must be renumerated. Which makes it more like work you do (albeit worse paid) than slavery.

Of course you would be the last person I'd expect to be able to tell the difference between employment and slavery.

You disgust me.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on August 06, 2009, 03:07:54 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 06, 2009, 02:10:20 AM
Mono, forced labour is considered a human rights violation in the civilized world. Not that you care, being a fucking savage Chinaman.

Seriously, you seem to be the only Asian we have here, and you seem to confirm every horrible racist stereotype of Asians. What gives?

I think it is quite normal for prisoners to engage in (forced) work of some kind.  Whether it is a human rights violation all depends on the way it is implemented.

It can't be forced and must be renumerated. Which makes it more like work you do (albeit worse paid) than slavery.

Of course you would be the last person I'd expect to be able to tell the difference between employment and slavery.

You disgust me.

Why can't they be forced to work?  They are forced to stay in the prison; and they are forced to do work as we speak.  Do you really expect prisoners to stay in the prison and not do any work?  Just watch TV 24/7?

And where did I say they must not be renumerated in any way?  These two are not mutually exclusive - you can be forced to do work, and be paid for it at the same time. 

Slargos

For those of us who've noticed that Martinus has certain "man-rag" days but can't be bothered to keep up with if there's any common denominator like day of the week or month or even time of day, perhaps a handy Java-calendar could be set up where every fag-fit is noted and detailed and a schedule for ignoring him completely can eventually be created.

Just a thought.

Lettow77

No, Mono is right. I support the return to penal farms at the very least- make prisons self succieint with their local produce.

Teaching a criminal an honest trade and squeezing cheap labour out of him sounds like a fantastic idea.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Slargos

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 06, 2009, 05:33:10 AM
Teaching a criminal an honest trade and squeezing cheap labour out of him sounds like a fantastic idea.

I dunno, having them lift weights and learn from fellow criminals all day long sounds pretty good too.

Josquius

:thumbsup: I approve of this idea.
Let them do poorly paid labour too. Forced labour would not work. Maybe its a good thing, maybe its the right idea...but its not legal. Its not going to be done.

The two could tie together quite well though- the majority of prisoners are not rich. Let them work, let them be paid (decent money) and let them use this to pay for room and board- if they don't throw them in some really horrible, really spartan bit of the prison.
This would likely violate human rights too though :(
██████
██████
██████

ulmont

Quote from: sbr on August 05, 2009, 10:51:59 PM
This is just popping into my head as I type it so I am not sure how I feel about it myself, but what about letting the wealthy "buy" extra luxuries or privileges?

OK by the time i finished typing it I realized it was a bad idea but what the hell.

California does this.

QuoteFor offenders whose crimes are usually relatively minor (carjackers should not bother) and whose bank accounts remain lofty, a dozen or so city jails across the state offer pay-to-stay upgrades.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/us/29jail.html?ex=1335499200&en=25344300f0ef0a4d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Strix

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 06, 2009, 05:33:10 AM
No, Mono is right. I support the return to penal farms at the very least- make prisons self succieint with their local produce.

North Carolina already does this. They have a farm and industry that creates all the clothes, soap, paint, and other assorted items that help maintain their prisons and prisoners.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Grey Fox

Prison wasn't always seen as the punishment but merely an holding stage & you had to pay for it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

You're the only Russian we have, and you confirm a number of Russian stereotypes as well.  What's your point.

Mono is a better human being than you are.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.