And we're back!

Main Menu

Pneumonic Plague Outbreak in China

Started by jimmy olsen, August 04, 2009, 08:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Black Death 2: Electic Boogaloo?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8183335.stm

QuoteA town in the far-western Qinghai province of China has been sealed off after pneumonic plague killed three people.

Police have set up checkpoints around Ziketan, as medics disinfect the area and kill rats and insects.

Vivian Tan from the World Health Organization in Beijing said she was ''definitely concerned'' because this form of pneumonic plague ''is really quite lethal.''
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

I dunno if Pneumonic Plague is a form of the Black Death (I know Bubonic Plague has several variants), but the Black Death is not 'extinct', Tim... people get it yearly in India and I think there are several cases of it annually in the United States even.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 08:28:26 AM
I dunno if Pneumonic Plague is a form of the Black Death (I know Bubonic Plague has several variants), but the Black Death is not 'extinct', Tim... people get it yearly in India and I think there are several cases of it annually in the United States even.  :)

There are reservours of Plague in ground-dwelling rodent communities in N. America and Mongolia. Most cases of plague are caused by people handling dead pararie dogs and ground squirrels, in which the disease is endemic.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Mmm'kay, so Tim, you might want to stop playing with dead rodents.  :bowler:

Grey Fox

It's World War Z baby! Max Brooks was right.

Quick to the Rockies!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

I believe the plague is endemic to Arizoner and af ew other places and is dealt with by antibiotics.
PDH!

Caliga

:yes:

It's easily treatable now with simple antibiotics as long as it is quickly diagnosed IIRC.

Neil

China would be a much nicer place if half the population died.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 04, 2009, 08:58:22 AM
It's World War Z baby! Max Brooks was right.

Quick to the Rockies!
My first thought. I may read that again to help me get ready for the Z War.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

But is bubonic plague really what caused the Black Death? Jury, out?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.