The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cecil

I suppose it could have been worse. I mean they could have had The Patriot up there. :lol:

citizen k

Quote from: Cecil on July 31, 2009, 03:35:28 PM
I suppose it could have been worse. I mean they could have had The Patriot up there. :lol:
It was given Tarleton quarter.  ;)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

The Passion of the Staff Stargeant was the only really bad scene in Platoon, and there were plenty of good scenes.  Stalingrad had the massive silliness of the Russian girl and not that much positive.  Platoon by two lengths.  It will and should fall off the list eventually, but to a better movie than Stalingrad.

Nominating anew in the middle of a voting round could lead to chaos, but let's see how it goes.  I'm keeping my eye on you Citgo Boy.:phear:

Cerr

I can't remember Platoon. I'm fairly sure I watched it at some point. Haven't seen Stalingrad. So I'll pass on voting for either

Is it ok to nominate another film?
If so, I nominate Das Boot against The Admiral.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Cerr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 31, 2009, 04:20:58 PM
:weep:
It's nothing personal.   :P

I haven't seen The Admiral, dunno if anyone here has so it's hard to justify it staying in the top 20 war films.

CountDeMoney

About 10 pages overdue since I've been busy, but FWIW:

Glory: War movie.
Last of The Mohicans: Not a war movie;  it's a love story.
Platoon: War movie.
Schindler's List: Not a war movie.
Untergang: Not a war movie.

Votes go to Glory, Platoon.

dps

Are we supposed to be voting on Battle of Britian vs Ice-Cold in Alex, or Platoon vs Stalingrad, or Das Boot vs The Admiral?  Or all three at once?

Anyway, I'd vote for Battle of Britian, Platton, and Das Boot.  Who's counting the votes, anyway?  Yi?

Admiral Yi

I'll count the votes on BoB vs. Cold.  The line jumpers can count their own fucking votes. <_<

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 31, 2009, 03:59:11 PM
It will and should fall off the list eventually, but to a better movie than Stalingrad.
Agreed.  Platoon so we can get this pathetic vote over with and move on.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!