The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Ice-Cold in Alex is one of those movies it's impossible to say anything negative about.

Vote BoB.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Fate

There are far too many English WW2 European Theater flicks on the list.

Bang Rajan
Der Untergang
Letters from Iwo Jima

These films belong on any red blooded male's list.  :bowler:

Caliga

Oh yeah.  Second Der Untergang... I don't usually think of that as a war movie, but I guess it is.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josephus

If we're gonna start talking about Jaron's penis, then this thread has ran its course.  :lmfao:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

I vote ICiA over BoB (which I found ponderous and, except for the air battles, boring).  ICiA at least had interesting characters.  It probably won't stay on the Top-20 list, but shouldn't be replaced by anything as weak as BoB (Sink the Bismarck might win me over, for instance).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

BuddhaRhubarb

I think this "Admiral" movie needs to be seen by someone before it can be on any list. Has anyone here actually seen it?
:p

Caliga

Another nomination - Stalingrad (German-language film made in the 90s).

Alatriste

Quote from: Caliga on July 31, 2009, 12:30:46 PM
Another nomination - Stalingrad (German-language film made in the 90s).

You nominate Stalingrad against...?

Caliga

Quote from: Alatriste on July 31, 2009, 12:34:17 PM
You nominate Stalingrad against...?
Oh, I dunno... Platoon, let's go with.  It's overrated, and I hated the scene where Willem Dafoe gets shot a million times and keeps getting up.

Berkut

All the shitty movies on that list and you put it up against one that deserves to be there???
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on July 31, 2009, 12:59:29 PM
All the shitty movies on that list and you put it up against one that deserves to be there???
All I know is that Stalingrad definitely needs to be there.  The scene where the Germans are throwing around and slapping the Russian whore who keeps mockingly spreading her legs and saying, "When will you faggots fuck me?" is an all-time classic.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Eddie Teach

Haven't seen the other movie, but I'll vote against Platoon.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

I have not seen Stalingrad, so I vote for Platoon.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned