The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Anyone who thinks Schindler is not a war movie should feel free to vote in the challenger.

Interesting that Great Escape gets questioned but Kwai does not.

saskganesh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 30, 2009, 01:53:44 PM
Anyone who thinks Schindler is not a war movie should feel free to vote in the challenger.

apparently it's Berkut's thread now. good luck.
humans were created in their own image

The Brain

How about we make a list of war movies and then vote from that list? There is no silver bullet here, we're gonna have to do it the hard way.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on July 30, 2009, 02:03:10 PM
How about we make a list of war movies and then vote from that list? There is no silver bullet here, we're gonna have to do it the hard way.
What's the point in having a preliminary vetting stage?  As things stand right now, if you think Schindler is not a war movie, you should vote for Glory, since we are voting on membership in the Languish top 20 war movies of all time.

One could argue that people who vote for Schindler are voting for an illegitimate choice, but if you want to have a discussion on which movies are war movies first you are just moving that debate to a different forum.  Unless you want to cede authority on that question to Grand Ayatollah Berkut and his Guardian Council.

And it's all monumentally academic.  Glory is leading Schindler 5-1 by my count.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 30, 2009, 01:53:44 PM

Its drastically less good.
As is the whole of the war against Japan.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 30, 2009, 02:45:50 PM
What's the point in having a preliminary vetting stage?  As things stand right now, if you think Schindler is not a war movie, you should vote for Glory, since we are voting on membership in the Languish top 20 war movies of all time.

One could argue that people who vote for Schindler are voting for an illegitimate choice, but if you want to have a discussion on which movies are war movies first you are just moving that debate to a different forum.  Unless you want to cede authority on that question to Grand Ayatollah Berkut and his Guardian Council.

And it's all monumentally academic.  Glory is leading Schindler 5-1 by my count.
Agree that this question will answer itself.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Schindler's List for me--arguably a war movie, but unarguably better than Glory.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on July 30, 2009, 03:00:18 PM
Schindler's List for me--arguably a war movie, but unarguably better than Glory.

No question that Schindler is better movie.

But it isn't a better romantic comedy than Notting Hill, even if the SS officer did fuck that chick before he shot that kid.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

Berkut, Cal, and Sask on my list for dissing Glory

Glory over List.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Berkut

Quote from: katmai on July 30, 2009, 03:08:12 PM
Berkut, Cal, and Sask on my list for dissing Glory

Glory over List.

Hehe, it would certainly go on my personal list for favorite war movies.

0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on July 30, 2009, 03:03:21 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 30, 2009, 03:00:18 PM

No question that Schindler is better movie.

But it isn't a better romantic comedy than Notting Hill, even if the SS officer did fuck that chick before he shot that kid.

Without a clear definition of what a war movie is, Schindler's List is in a gray zone (but I doubt anyone has put it in the romantic comedy genre). Rather than making a simple and rather arbitrary determination, why not consider it a borderline war moive, and thus dock it a few points for this thread? For example, I'd consider Band of Brothers to be inferior to Schindler's List, but I'd vote Band of Brothers in this poll.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Siege

Did you guys like 1992' Last Of The Mohicans?

Do you think colonial wars of the period were really like that?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Berkut

Quote from: Siege on July 30, 2009, 03:14:17 PM
Did you guys like 1992' Last Of The Mohicans?

Do you think colonial wars of the period were really like that?

Yes.

Not likely.

Not a war movie.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 30, 2009, 03:17:46 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 30, 2009, 03:15:57 PM
Not a war movie.
:lol:

A couple problematic scenes but overall pretty good.

Last of the Mohicans is probably on my top-10 overall, actually. I love that movie.

0 rows returned