Is it a good time to upgrade my CPU?

Started by Josquius, September 20, 2024, 07:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

My computer is getting old. I haven't upgraded the processor for a good 8 years or so. My current processor is a Intel Core i5-6600K.  And its really beginning to show; even windows 11 doesn't want to be installed on my current computer.
Most stuff works but I haven't exactly tried higher end games from this decade and trying to play the star trek mod on stellaris- no luck with the biggest map.
So yeah.
Purely looking at my computer I need to upgrade at some point. Basically anything today should be better than this.

Looking at the market at large however, anyone keep an eye on this stuff and know if now is a 'optimum' time to do the upgrade or is there some big release due that should change things a lot?
As I understand things intel isn't great at the moment and the AMD route is better (reviews say so though raw numbers seem to show intel as better- https://pc-builds.com/compare/cpu/0Fs/1nt/1uf/)?- any recommendation?

The motherboard would have to come out with the processor so I'll be needing a new one of those too so I suppose same question applies (not sure it matters there so much). Though hopefully my RAM (DDR4 3200mhz) should still work with something modern?- I've got a lot of it so don't fancy replacing it all.
My graphics card I'll be holding onto as its a few years younger.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

I think AMD processors, the 7800X3D in particular, are in a bit of shortage and the prices are high.  Don't know about UK specifically though.

This is similar to what I have. 
Good for 1440p gaming:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jYWFBL

"Optimum time", is hard to say.  In North America, it's Black Friday.  In the UK, no idea.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Darth Wagtaros

I'm going to have to upgrade.  My PC doesn't have a TPM and I'll need to upgrade ahead of Windows 10 ending support.  I hate Windows 11 though.

I want a new GPU to play Baldur's Gate, but would need to buy a new mobo, processor, etc so I may as well just get a new one.
PDH!

Josquius

Sniffing around I see talk of new releases at the end of October which should disrupt prices.
Then there's black Friday. Might aim for then.

Also though Intel performs better on paper apparently it's reliability sucks and they overheat a lot which means in practice amd is better.

No sign of this processor being out of stock.
Any idea what to look for in motherboards? I've never really gotten that.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

It's a weird moment in time. I bought this tablet 8 years ago, with 8GB RAM and 256GB RAM: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/at/en/products/tablets/miix-series/miix-700-12isk/solutions/pd104073-product-overview-ideapad-miix-700-12isk

I got it as a basic little work tablet but mostly as media viewer. To this day it still runs fine, only needed to replace charger cable (and battery life isn't great anymore, but fine).

Considering its age I was looking at replacements recently. But except for a better CPU there's not really anything like it out there in the price range of what I paid at the time (granted, it was EUR 999 in 2016).

I did a similar comparison for my 4 year old PC with its 3080 GTX card, and a real upgrade would cost me about 4000-4500 EUR if I want to go similarly high end as this one was when I bought it. :wacko:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

For the 1st time ever I think I will actually change my CPU without changing my motherboard. I have a B450 chipset and it supports Zen 3 architecture.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 20, 2024, 07:42:32 PMI'm going to have to upgrade.  My PC doesn't have a TPM and I'll need to upgrade ahead of Windows 10 ending support.  I hate Windows 11 though.
Explorer Patcher + Start11.  Does wonders.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on September 21, 2024, 06:16:33 AMSniffing around I see talk of new releases at the end of October which should disrupt prices.
Then there's black Friday. Might aim for then.

Also though Intel performs better on paper apparently it's reliability sucks and they overheat a lot which means in practice amd is better.

No sign of this processor being out of stock.
Any idea what to look for in motherboards? I've never really gotten that.
B650, if you aim for the middle-end.  The most expensive boards often have features that you aren't likely to use and they don't perform any better.  The lower end board are just too cheap, they will perform badly if you ever try to overclock your processor or RAM, or if you need another processor than a 7800X3D that draws more power.

Josquius

Thanks.
How would you choose between the bazillion different B650s?
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Find your must have features and go from there.

Personally, I like Asus motherboard, for many reasons but #1 is that I know their UEFI utility quite deeply, and usually choose the 150$CA price point.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on September 22, 2024, 02:29:54 PMThanks.
How would you choose between the bazillion different B650s?
Do as Grey Fox did.

Start by choosing how many USB 3.1/3.2 ports you need of, how many USB 2.0 ports, how many M.2 slots for your SSD you need, how many SATA ports you need, any kind of special feature you may want (front USB-C, front USB 3.1 connectors for the case, etc).

Input your variables in pcpartpicker.com and look at your options.

Asrock has some good quality motherboards, but it has a very rudimentary BIOS.
Gigabyte has a confusing BIOS, especially for beginners, but they do have some solid motherboards, particularly the AORUS.  It takes a while to get used to that BIOS.
MSI has a good bios and a good quality build but it is often very pricey hardware.
Asus has an excellent bios but its quality has dropped noticeably in the later years and they often refuse warranty claiming "user induced damage".  It happened to me recently, it took me many months to resolve the issue.  I wasn't alone, since there's an hardware channel I follow that made a piece and a follow-up on them about these issues.
Biostar does not seem to be sold in Canada, so I don't really know about them.

Josquius

Ah.
Checking up I got my history wrong.
It wasn't the graphics card I replaced at a later date, it was the motherboard and processor.
My motherboard and CPU are 8 years old. My graphics card is 10 (!!) years old.
Looks like I would be getting basically an entirely new computer here when the time comes.
Given my gaming time is limited I think I'll be holding off.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on September 24, 2024, 07:59:18 AMGiven my gaming time is limited I think I'll be holding off.
Might be a wise decision.

The 9800X3D are rumored to be out in October.  If that is true, there should be used 5800X3D and 7800X3D on the market at a decent price.

Nvidia's 5080 and 5090 are also just around the corner, so again, used 3080s and 4080s should be on the market.