News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Paradox Tinto Game - "Project Caesar"

Started by Syt, February 28, 2024, 12:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Good to know that I will continue to ignore Germany in any EU games :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

It would be nice to see a game that properly handles tall play.
Both of a Venice style dominant city state variety and more of a Swiss style, able to maintain their independence quite comfortably and prove a real thorn in the side of anything locally, but not a threat too far beyond their borders.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on May 17, 2024, 10:49:15 AMIt would be nice to see a game that properly handles tall play.
Both of a Venice style dominant city state variety and more of a Swiss style, able to maintain their independence quite comfortably and prove a real thorn in the side of anything locally, but not a threat too far beyond their borders.

Yes, I would love that.

Zanza

Definitely looking forward to play in the HRE. Brandenburg, Bavaria, Palatine, Hansa, Habsburg, Holland, Milan, Provence, Savoy, Bohemia, ... So many fun options.

Syt

People are using the map screenshots to try piece together a world map.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Were Castille, England or Hungary really so much more centralised than France, Italy or Germany?

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on May 20, 2024, 11:24:51 AMWere Castille, England or Hungary really so much more centralised than France, Italy or Germany?

You can argue against in the game's period, but in general I think yes. I remember reading (in a non-Hungarian source :P) that 1100-ish for example, only Hungary matched England's level of centralisation.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on May 20, 2024, 11:24:51 AMWere Castille, England or Hungary really so much more centralised than France, Italy or Germany?
I think so for England - but I'm aware that to an extent the historiographical frame for English history is the combination of parliament and centralisation (and the two go hand in hand reinforcing each other).

No idea for Hungary (although I suspect it's similar), but also striking that with England and Castille there's been relatively recent conquest. So you have more or less total replacement of the established social order with a new (pretty coherent) elite dividing up the land.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Kind of interesting to see Wales as separate from England in 1337. What is the story behind that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 20, 2024, 10:01:08 PMKind of interesting to see Wales as separate from England in 1337. What is the story behind that?

Technically it was separate until the the Tudors.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 20, 2024, 11:56:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 20, 2024, 10:01:08 PMKind of interesting to see Wales as separate from England in 1337. What is the story behind that?

Technically it was separate until the the Tudors.

Was it? Interesting. I thought Edward I's incorporation was thorough. Also: it had been divided between Welsh nobles and Norman/English Marcher Lords for awhile and at no point were those marcher lords considered to be part of some other Kingdom or Principality called "Wales" were they?

Huh. Well Medieval stuff was always weird.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Richard Hakluyt

The Act of Union between England and Wales was passed in 1536 https://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/history/sites/themes/periods/tudors_04.shtml

Which, in paradox terms, makes it a vassal of England in the 14th century.

England was a highly centralised state by 14th century standards. It had one system of weights and measures for the whole country, law was enforced and courts held by the justices of the peace and was the King's law, when parliament imposed taxes they were for the entire country. This is an important reason why the 4m English of the time were able to war succesfully with the 20m French.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 21, 2024, 12:37:58 AMThe Act of Union between England and Wales was passed in 1536 https://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/history/sites/themes/periods/tudors_04.shtml

England was a highly centralised state by 14th century standards. It had one system of weights and measures for the whole country, law was enforced and courts held by the justices of the peace and was the King's law, when parliament imposed taxes they were for the entire country. This is an important reason why the 4m English of the time were able to war succesfully with the 20m French.

Was there a separate system of law and a parliament for Wales prior to that point?

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2024, 01:15:11 AMWas there a separate system of law and a parliament for Wales prior to that point?

Welsh language being what it is I assume nobody knows. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2024, 01:15:11 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 21, 2024, 12:37:58 AMThe Act of Union between England and Wales was passed in 1536 https://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/history/sites/themes/periods/tudors_04.shtml

Was there a separate system of law and a parliament for Wales prior to that point?

Not only prior to