News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 15, 2024, 11:59:57 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 15, 2024, 08:47:39 AMU.N. peacekeepers in Lebanon pledge not to give in to Israeli demands to 'get out of harm's way'

Who's left to attack in the area?  Civilians, check.  Humanitarians, check.  UN Peackeepers, check.  Lebanon, Iran, Syria, Yemen, check.  At least, they haven't targeted the US this time around.

The Peacekeepers are just creating safe zones for Hezbollah. They have never once tried to enforce the UN Resolution that justifies their presence (which was actually to keep Hezbollah out of the southern border region of the country), they need removed.
I knew you'd say that.

Israel never fully retired from Lebanon either (and as usual, Israel does not really recognize the border and regularly operates in Lebanon, it's just a matter of time before parts of it are also annexed and the people are deported elsewhere) and the UN Peacekeepers are not equipped for heavy fighting.

The resolution called for Israel withdrawal and a gradual take over by the Lebanese army and the peacekeeper.  However, neither of these group are equipped to fight against the IDF and push them back while also fighting the Hezbollah.

10 000 soldiers and sailors, including the doctors, administrators and other support staff, all lightly armed, except for a few tanks and light vehicles against 100 000 armed to the teeth Hezbollah fighters and IDF soldiers ready to shoot them in the back as soon as Hezbollah is weakened.

Great deal you got there.  You must be a genius of military strategy.  I'm sure Donald Trump will name you Sec Def.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Wait, you think the UNIFIL is there to fight the Israelis?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: viper37 on October 15, 2024, 09:22:49 PM10 000 soldiers and sailors, including the doctors, administrators and other support staff, all lightly armed, except for a few tanks and light vehicles against 100 000 armed to the teeth Hezbollah fighters and IDF soldiers ready to shoot them in the back as soon as Hezbollah is weakened.
This is seriously deranged stuff.  I don't know who brainwashed you into becoming so unhinged on this topic, but I really hope Israel took them out in one of their missile strikes many years ago.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 15, 2024, 09:22:49 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 15, 2024, 08:47:39 AMU.N. peacekeepers in Lebanon pledge not to give in to Israeli demands to 'get out of harm's way'

Who's left to attack in the area?  Civilians, check.  Humanitarians, check.  UN Peackeepers, check.  Lebanon, Iran, Syria, Yemen, check.  At least, they haven't targeted the US this time around.

The Peacekeepers are just creating safe zones for Hezbollah. They have never once tried to enforce the UN Resolution that justifies their presence (which was actually to keep Hezbollah out of the southern border region of the country), they need removed.
I knew you'd say that.

Israel never fully retired from Lebanon either (and as usual, Israel does not really recognize the border and regularly operates in Lebanon, it's just a matter of time before parts of it are also annexed and the people are deported elsewhere) and the UN Peacekeepers are not equipped for heavy fighting.

The resolution called for Israel withdrawal and a gradual take over by the Lebanese army and the peacekeeper.  However, neither of these group are equipped to fight against the IDF and push them back while also fighting the Hezbollah.

10 000 soldiers and sailors, including the doctors, administrators and other support staff, all lightly armed, except for a few tanks and light vehicles against 100 000 armed to the teeth Hezbollah fighters and IDF soldiers ready to shoot them in the back as soon as Hezbollah is weakened.

Great deal you got there.  You must be a genius of military strategy.  I'm sure Donald Trump will name you Sec Def.

The issue is that Hezbollah did not vacate the area, which was another key goal of the UN resolution, and in fact increased its use of the area to attack Israel. 

So it's not clear what purpose the UN observers actually served.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: DGuller on October 15, 2024, 11:55:28 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 15, 2024, 09:22:49 PM10 000 soldiers and sailors, including the doctors, administrators and other support staff, all lightly armed, except for a few tanks and light vehicles against 100 000 armed to the teeth Hezbollah fighters and IDF soldiers ready to shoot them in the back as soon as Hezbollah is weakened.
This is seriously deranged stuff.  I don't know who brainwashed you into becoming so unhinged on this topic, but I really hope Israel took them out in one of their missile strikes many years ago.

It is well known pro-Hamas stuff has seeded lefty circles for years, anti-Israeli disinformation campaigns in general have been heavily promoted into leftist circles since the 1960s more broadly, Viper just lacks the comprehension and critical thinking abilities to see past his own brainwashing--this is typical of leftists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 16, 2024, 08:50:57 AM

It is well known pro-Hamas stuff has seeded lefty circles for years, anti-Israeli disinformation campaigns in general have been heavily promoted into leftist circles since the 1960s more broadly, Viper just lacks the comprehension and critical thinking abilities to see past his own brainwashing--this is typical of leftists.

Those who are more grounded in reality would not describe Viper as a lefty.

Grey Fox

Ovb, now you are just high on your own fumes. Viper is so far right that BB wonders where he's sitting.

P.S. By you.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

OttoVonBismarck

You guys just don't have a working political compass.

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 16, 2024, 09:22:16 AMYou guys just don't have a working political compass.

If your theory depends on viper being a leftist, you might want to reconsider your theory.

The Minsky Moment

"Settler colonialism" may be an academic theory associated with the Left, but there is affinity there with present day nationalist-populism.  Both see migrants from other cultures as invaders displacing the true people of the land.  The power dynamics may differ but there are definite similarities on how people are categorized and given priority.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_incidents_during_the_2006_Lebanon_War

So you deny that the IDF has ever attacked the UN forces before?  This all in my imagination?  And what they're doing now, I'm imagining it too?
QuoteThe 2010 Israel–Lebanon border clash occurred on 3 August 2010. It was the deadliest incident along the border since the devastating 2006 Lebanon War. The UN force stationed in southern Lebanon urged "maximum restraint" following the clashes along the so-called Blue Line, a UN-drawn border separating Lebanon from Israel. UNIFIL peacekeepers were in the area where the clashes took place.[42] United Nations peacekeepers tried to hold off the routine Israeli tree-pruning that led to a deadly border clash with Lebanese soldiers. An Indonesian UN battalion was on the scene, and they did their best to try to prevent it, but they were unable to.[43]
Indonesian peacekeepers tried to no avail to calm the situation before the clashes erupted. The fighting increasingly intensified, so the small contingent of UNIFIL forces was ordered to retreat or find cover then report back to the base. The Indonesian contingent, under intense small arms fire and shelling between the two opposing forces, retreated and returned to their base, but two soldiers fell behind and briefly became isolated before the stunned and exhausted soldiers were helped by some locals.[39]

Who's the deranged one?  The one stating the facts or the one ignoring them?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 16, 2024, 11:02:26 AM"Settler colonialism" may be an academic theory associated with the Left, but there is affinity there with present day nationalist-populism.  Both see migrants from other cultures as invaders displacing the true people of the land.  The power dynamics may differ but there are definite similarities on how people are categorized and given priority.

I suppose you could call what is happening in the West Bank and Gaza peaceful integration.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on October 15, 2024, 11:40:32 PMWait, you think the UNIFIL is there to fight the Israelis?
What do UN Peacekeepers do, usually?  Fight for one side?

Grey Fox

Historically, they die & watch others die too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 16, 2024, 07:35:35 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 15, 2024, 09:22:49 PM

I knew you'd say that.

The issue is that Hezbollah did not vacate the area, which was another key goal of the UN resolution, and in fact increased its use of the area to attack Israel. 

So it's not clear what purpose the UN observers actually served.
Their presence was a mere 2000 soldiers in 2006.  It increased briefly to 15 000 for a few years than got reduced back to 15 000.  It includes a couple of warships to help prevent smuggling, in assistance to the Lebanase navy, administrative staff, support staff.  As of this conflict they are around 10 000.  No artillery, no aviation, no heavy tanks.  The Hezbollah is well entranched, so was the IDF in the villages it controlled.

Their mandates does not allow them to attack anyone, only to defend.  They can't force the Hezbollah out of their lair, nor can't they push back Israel.  Even if the mandate had been changed, with the number of troops they have, as soon as they would attack Hezbollah, the IDF would use the vacuum and launch its own attack as it's doing now and has been doing in the past.  They'd get slaughtered if they tried to resist.

Peacekeepers can only enforce a cease-fire, they're not equipped to wage a war on two fronts.