News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 11, 2024, 08:01:55 AM9/11 anniversary day, I hope people in the West use this day to reflect on the innate evil of Islam and its monstrous adherents.

Something to remember when considering a vote between a party that supports Israel in its defensive war against Muslim genocide and a party that increasingly embraces eliminationist ideology against Israel.

On this day, I reflect on two things.  First and foremost, I think about the tribute to the friend he lost, that PLJ used to post every year.

Second, I reflect on the fear of the people on a conference call I was on that morning, when they realized what had happened and they needed to check on friends and family who were in the towers.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 11, 2024, 08:55:05 AMHe's very mass market, TV watching, middlebrow not niche online subculture.

For me the Trumpiest moment was in the dog-eater colloquy when he basically said: I saw it on TV so it must be true. That's Trump in a nutshell, truth is meaningless, reality is defined by what and who is on TV.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 11, 2024, 09:21:59 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 11, 2024, 08:55:05 AMHe's very mass market, TV watching, middlebrow not niche online subculture.

For me the Trumpiest moment was in the dog-eater colloquy when he basically said: I saw it on TV so it must be true. That's Trump in a nutshell, truth is meaningless, reality is defined by what and who is on TV.

For me that was a close second.  I think the winning entry is when he thought he was establishing his international bona fides by saying that Orban supports him.

Josephus

I mean Orban makes for a great character reference.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 11, 2024, 08:55:05 AMAnd when the weird subcultures (including "intellectual" conservatives) get too mouthy he disowns them because that's not his world (see Project 2025), while it absolutely is Vance's

Yeah everybody else gets HR called on them so to speak.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on September 11, 2024, 02:44:29 AMI don't see many conservative voting in a CNN poll. Probably get the reverse numbers in a fox poll.

Pollsters don't say who hired them to do the poll.  They just say "Hi we're such-and-such polling company".

The problem I see is how many Trump fans were watching the debate.  Trump voters are often categorized as "low information" voters.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on September 11, 2024, 07:20:22 AMI'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.  I guess my ignorance of Taylor Swift is a reflection of the age of algorithms, where anyone can be almost perfectly focused on news stories of interest to them, and everyone getting their very personalized feed assumes that everyone else is getting the same feed. 

News stories about business impacts of travel itineraries of some celebrities have never interested me.  Or business stories in general, for that matter.  If I ever need to have surgery, I'll ask the doctors to use CNBC to put me under.

Even if your only source of news and information in the entire world was Languish, the search function shows that Taylor Swift's name shows up 48 times around this place.

DGuller

CNN guy was very careful to mention that their poll isn't meant to be representative of the likely voters, it was only representative of people who watch the debate.  However, he also mentioned off-hand that in reality there is not a lot of difference between the populations.  He sounded like a guy who wouldn't make that statement without thinking about it and making sure it was supported.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2024, 10:33:27 AMEven if your only source of news and information in the entire world was Languish, the search function shows that Taylor Swift's name shows up 48 times around this place.
I'm sure that if I search for Canadian politicians, I'll get plenty of hits as well, there may even be a thread here where (I presume) they're discussed.

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 11, 2024, 08:01:55 AM9/11 anniversary day, I hope people in the West use this day to reflect on the innate evil of Islam and its monstrous adherents.

Something to remember when considering a vote between a party that supports Israel in its defensive war against Muslim genocide and a party that increasingly embraces eliminationist ideology against Israel.

I think I would contrast it as a choice between a sitting President (avd VP) who has given substantial amounts of aid to Israel and has visited the country twice since October 7th, versus a former President whose son-in-law was given two billion dollars under mysterious circumstances by Saudi Arabia, which as you know was where almost all the 9/11 terrorists came from.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on September 11, 2024, 10:38:48 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2024, 10:33:27 AMEven if your only source of news and information in the entire world was Languish, the search function shows that Taylor Swift's name shows up 48 times around this place.
I'm sure that if I search for Canadian politicians, I'll get plenty of hits as well, there may even be a thread here where (I presume) they're discussed.

Use the search function yourself.

Given the very male, and middle-aged-plus demographics of this board, we are not the key demo to be Taylor Swift fans.  As such pretty much none of her references her are discussing her music - it's all about her massive concert series of her massive cultural influence (with a side of her boyfriend who plays football).

DGuller

I'm not saying it's impossible to find out who she is, there are indeed multiple ways more effective than Languish search.  I'm saying I did not know she was until yesterday, except for being vaguely familiar with her name.  I'm familiar enough now.

HVC

It's like someone not knowing who Michael Jackson was in the 80s. Just in case, Dguller, he was a singer. Started off as a black guy and ended his career as an Asian woman.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 11, 2024, 09:21:59 AMFor me the Trumpiest moment was in the dog-eater colloquy when he basically said: I saw it on TV so it must be true. That's Trump in a nutshell, truth is meaningless, reality is defined by what and who is on TV.
Yeah. And I don't want to say we should ban people in real estate from politics but I do think that's part of it too. "Cosy", "characterful", "opportunity to put your stamp on it" - it's an entire sector of the economy based on lies :lol: What matters isn't the actual thing but how you sell it.

That combined with an old school Page Six view of the world and you get Trump.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 11, 2024, 11:08:23 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 11, 2024, 09:21:59 AMFor me the Trumpiest moment was in the dog-eater colloquy when he basically said: I saw it on TV so it must be true. That's Trump in a nutshell, truth is meaningless, reality is defined by what and who is on TV.
Yeah. And I don't want to say we should ban people in real estate from politics but I do think that's part of it too. "Cosy", "characterful", "opportunity to put your stamp on it" - it's an entire sector of the economy based on lies :lol: What matters isn't the actual thing but how you sell it.

That combined with an old school Page Six view of the world and you get Trump.

Unfettered democracy :contract: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.