News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Alatriste on October 08, 2009, 03:31:06 PM
In 1834? Yeah, that would have been worthy of note...

Uhmmm... if our friend Otokichi-kun was out of Japan while the country was still officially closed, then he had to be a sailor lost at sea and rescued by a western ship... Did he write a book on Japan? The first japanese-english dictionary, perhaps?
After this post I remembered who he was...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Agelastus

Having looked it up, I do not believe he did anything notable in 1834. In 1835, however...

I'm really curious as to the answer Caliga is looking for for this question.

Edit: Oh, I get what Caliga is looking for...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Caliga

Uhmmm... if our friend Otokichi-kun was out of Japan while the country was still officially closed, then he had to be a sailor lost at sea and rescued by a western ship... Did he write a book on Japan? The first japanese-english dictionary, perhaps?
This is extremely close. ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Drakken

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 05:13:54 PM

This is extremely close. ^_^

He was the first Japanese to walk the Westen soil since the Sakoku policy was enabled by the Tokugawa Shogunate?

Caliga

Quote from: Drakken on October 08, 2009, 05:41:02 PM
He was the first Japanese to walk the Westen soil since the Sakoku policy was enabled by the Tokugawa Shogunate?
He may well have been, but I dunno that for sure.

Drakken

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 05:42:48 PM
Quote from: Drakken on October 08, 2009, 05:41:02 PM
He may well have been, but I dunno that for sure.

He was definitely not the first ever, Date Masamune had sent an embassy to the Pope in 1614, by the first vessel made by Japanese hands to travel around the world, the Date Maru.

Caliga

Ok, I'm gonna give it to Alatriste, since he was very close and other people are bitching that this is way too hard.

He was a sailor on a cargo vessel loaded with rice that IIRC lost its rigging in a storm on a short-haul voyage in the Japanese archipelago.

The vessel drifted for 14 months all the way across the Pacific and ran aground in Oregon.  Only him and some other dude were still alive.  He was captured by Makah Indians and enslaved and then sold to white dudes.

I think he eventually became a Japanese ambassador or some shit like that.

Agelastus

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 05:48:37 PM
Ok, I'm gonna give it to Alatriste, since he was very close and other people are bitching that this is way too hard.

He was a sailor on a cargo vessel loaded with rice that IIRC lost its rigging in a storm on a short-haul voyage in the Japanese archipelago.

The vessel drifted for 14 months all the way across the Pacific and ran aground in Oregon.  Only him and some other dude were still alive.  He was captured by Makah Indians and enslaved and then sold to white dudes.

Quote・ First Japanese in America (Preceded John Manjiro by 10 yrs and Joseph Heco by 30 yrs)
・ First Japanese in Canada
・ Payload of Setoyaki represented first trade between U.S. and Japan
・ Inspiration for Commodore Perry (opened trade with Japan)
・ Probable inspiration for Ranald MacDonald (first American in Japan), from Astoria Oregon 1840s
・ First Japanese to gain British Citizenship
・ First trilingual in Japanese, English and Chinese
・ First Japanese in Royal British Navy
・ First Japanese Christian (Protestant Episcopalian)
・ Translated Bible of John into Japanese
・ Opened Nagasaki Port on behalf of the British Crown in 1854

Some of the claims made for him seem..."iffy".
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 05:48:37 PM

What did he do in particular in 1834?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Agelastus on October 08, 2009, 06:01:37 PM

:lol:

Wiki has ruled: Catholics aren't Christian. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Agelastus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 08, 2009, 06:10:21 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on October 08, 2009, 06:01:37 PM

:lol:

Wiki has ruled: Catholics aren't Christian. :contract:

:D

While I would, in general, agree with your point, I am afraid I must point out that that list is NOT from Wiki...

http://www.jmottoson.com/Otokichi-Story.htm
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Alatriste

OK. A tricky one... What biting nickname did Gnaeus Pompey use for Lucullus? (Hint, because otherwise it would be almost impossible: a movie has made the joke even funnier for us modern people)

Caliga