And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: AnchorClanker on January 22, 2012, 01:26:59 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 22, 2012, 11:54:48 AM
No to all those; and unless I'm mistaken Louis XVI did not die of disease or natural causes--having been publicly beheaded.

On January 21st, no less.   :smoke:
Oooh.  Didn't he have a condition anyway?  A very tight foreskin or something that made sex very uncomfortable.
Let's bomb Russia!

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 22, 2012, 01:32:20 PM
No to all those; and unless I'm mistaken Louis XVI did not die of disease or natural causes--having been publicly beheaded.

Oooh.  Didn't he have a condition anyway?  A very tight foreskin or something that made sex very uncomfortable.

That seems to ring a bell...
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

OttoVonBismarck

Anyway, Brain was close, but the answer is Louis XV.

Apparently there was a certain Madame du Barry who was known to find young, sometimes pre-pubescent girls for Louis XV to bang. In one rumored incident Louis caught sight of a young girl while on a trip, and unable to control himself, viciously raped her (she apparently was severely injured.) However, she had smallpox which Louis caught and later died from.

We know for a fact he died of smallpox, the rest has always just been rumor/legend; possibly trumped up in the post-monarchy period to highlight the depravity of the Bourbons, but it's also entirely possible it was true.

That leaves the floor open.

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 22, 2012, 01:32:20 PM

Some have suggested that he had phimosis (unretractable foreskin), as well as, more speculatively, a glandular disorder which delayed puberty, explaining why he didn't care much about fucking Kirsten Dunst and therefore dallied in submitting to a circumcision to fix his problem.  There's an article about it in a 2002 volume of Progres en Urologie.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

24 hour rule ?

If so, which was the last place ruled by the British crown to use conscription for its' military force ?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on February 07, 2012, 07:24:24 PM
24 hour rule ?

If so, which was the last place ruled by the British crown to use conscription for its' military force ?

Yi rule?  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 07, 2012, 07:26:45 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 07, 2012, 07:24:24 PM
24 hour rule ?

Yi rule?  :lol:

We did away with the Yi rule, besides this place has never been part of the United Kingdom, my country, hint there.  :P

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

ulmont

Quote from: mongers on February 07, 2012, 07:41:54 PM
We did away with the Yi rule, besides this place has never been part of the United Kingdom, my country, hint there.  :P

US the last holdout?

Eddie Teach

As there's a fair number of African countries who still have it, I assume he meant while they were under Britain.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 07, 2012, 10:43:02 PM
As there's a fair number of African countries who still have it, I assume he meant while they were under Britain.

Yeah, I'm not sure what he talking about. What exactly is meant by "ruled by the British crown".  He needs to clarify the question.  I'm guessing it's some place like Belize.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on February 07, 2012, 11:24:28 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 07, 2012, 10:43:02 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure what he talking about. What exactly is meant by "ruled by the British crown".  He needs to clarify the question.  I'm guessing it's some place like Belize.

Nope, and I'm using the words "british crown" for a reason. 

Just to clarify, the date of independence of the places you might be guessing is the cut off point. Once they're independent then if they continue to have conscription or reintroduce it isn't relevant, independence would be the last possible date for that country as regards this question.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2012, 09:27:25 AM
The UK? :hmm:

Nope.

I'll give you the answer as I'm going out for a while. 

It's the british crown colony of Bermuda and the date is ... today, Bermuda still has a policy of raising recruits for the Bermuda Regiment by conscription, more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_Regiment

The majority of the Regiment is made up of conscripts, making it unique among all of the land forces still under the British Crown. Conscription is based on a random lottery of men through the ages of 18 to 23, with exemptions granted to Police and Prison officers, members of the British regular forces (or men who have served for two years), church ministers, prisoners or those who have been judged to be of "unsound mind". Temporary deferment is granted for full-time students (attending either the Bermuda College or schools abroad), for the length of their studies, and individuals currently medically unfit but likely to become fit again. Conscientious objectors have the opportunity to either serve in a non-combatant role or perform an alternative community service chosen by the Governor.

This practice (of conscription) is frequently criticised by both Bermudians and aware foreigners, particularly for its sexism and its similarity to slavery (a sensitive issue given the historic background of Bermuda), and has been noted in the British Parliament.[3] It receives support from the community, however, and is hailed for causing interaction between social and racial groups. A recent Bermuda Supreme Court decision has upheld that conscription is a lawful process, as presently administered by the Defence Department, although it required an earlier Supreme Court decision in 1995 to establish conscientious objection on an equal basis with that obtaining in Britain during conscription. Moral issues aside, however, this leaves the force dependent on the qualities of senior officers,[citation needed] whereas similar units – the British Army, in particular, upon which the Regiment is modelled – emphasise the initiative of junior members.