News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Solmyr on February 11, 2010, 10:35:09 AM
This person published ideas on free trade, market forces, and relationship between society and economics that closely resembled Adam Smith's ideas in The Wealth of Nations, several years before Adam Smith. Who was it?

Anders Chydenius.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

Quote from: The Brain on February 11, 2010, 12:53:29 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on February 11, 2010, 10:35:09 AM
This person published ideas on free trade, market forces, and relationship between society and economics that closely resembled Adam Smith's ideas in The Wealth of Nations, several years before Adam Smith. Who was it?

Anders Chydenius.

Correct, you are on.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

AnchorClanker

Which one of Napoleon's marshals was half-English and was the sole Marshal of France (at the time) to speak English?
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Oexmelin

I was tempted to say MacDonald, but IIRC, he is from an old jacobite family, i.e., not properly English, and probably didn't speak the language.
Que le grand cric me croque !

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 11, 2010, 03:29:03 PM
I was tempted to say MacDonald, but IIRC, he is from an old jacobite family, i.e., not properly English, and probably didn't speak the language.

Correct - MacDonald was 3rd generation French, and spoke no English.  It's a tricky one.

Here's a hint - he was to command the Imperial Guard on the 1815 campaign, but took ill and didn't go as planned.

(EDIT) Looked it up as I wasn't sure - MacDonald's father was Scot - for some reason I thought he was from an earlier line of emigrants
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Admiral Yi

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 11, 2010, 03:40:50 PM
Marshal Crenshaw

:P  His surname was French, as his mother was English.

Eochaid

Adolphe Édouard Casimir Joseph Mortier :)

Kevin
It's been a while

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Eochaid on February 11, 2010, 04:13:36 PM
Adolphe Édouard Casimir Joseph Mortier :)

Kevin

Oui.  Well done.  An under-rated commander.  You're up.

Eochaid

A famous slave, I was also a martial artist. Today, I am a national hero

Kevin
It's been a while

citizen k

Quote from: Eochaid on February 11, 2010, 06:38:59 PM

A famous slave, I was also a martial artist. Today, I am a national hero

Kevin

Toussaint l'Ouverture

Eochaid

Quote from: citizen k on February 11, 2010, 06:42:30 PM
Quote from: Eochaid on February 11, 2010, 06:38:59 PM