News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I mean I wouldn't necessarily link it to Brexit - I mean these are two Remainers:
QuoteBen Judah
@b_judah
Camera switched briefly to a crying German child — ha, now you know what all our childhoods were like.

Leonardo Carella
@leonardocarella
Replying to
@b_judah
and
@tom_nuttall
People in the pub burst out laughing Face with tears of joy
(One British-French, the other, I think, Italian).

All cced by Economist Berlin reporter. Those tweets that Stan Collymore are far nastier/more personal.

But I can't be the only person to have chuckled at that sort of thing (I didn't see this kid) especially when it's a rival while remembering times when I was a kid and cried at football results - and I really remember my brother being in absolute floods when Portugal knocked out England. Like we've all been there as the crying kid - it's human right? (Mildly panicked I'm a monster....)

Although I admire the German commentators line: "it's no reason to cry, it's just football." :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

I feel bad for the kid - I saw the image during the broadcast.

And while saying "haha, know you know what our childhood was like" (because we used to lose to your team) is neither kind nor filled with empathy, neither is it particularly egregious IMO - especially since they didn't say it to her directly.

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on June 30, 2021, 05:54:59 PM

And while saying "haha, know you know what our childhood was like" (because we used to lose to your team) is neither kind nor filled with empathy, neither is it particularly egregious IMO - especially since they didn't say it to her directly.
Sure. There was definitely a bit of that. Kind of dodgy since her photo is being plastered all over the Internet and she likely goes to school in the UK but... Yeah

But screaming suck it you little nazi?.... No. Lots of people crossing the line and not getting it.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Yeah - 100%. The stuff that Collymore is linking to is disgusting. But I feel like if you support a team with any hope - we've all kind of been there as the crying kid and as the adult who's had that expereince with schadenfreude. Although my favourite response to this was a Scottish fan who just said "Christ, imagine if Scottish weans cried when we lost at football" :lol:

Separately just saw the videof Rio Ferdinand playing in a game with Stonewall FC which is gay football team in London - in one of their strips which is in the trans flag colours.

I don't know if this is the same everywhere in Europe. But it feels to me like this tournament is genuinely kind of groundbreaking in the men's game in Europe at least in terms of the sort of visible solidarity with LGBT people - who are often fans or players. There's Neuer with the armband in Budapest and the controversy with UEFA and the Hungarian government (including the moment when UEFA were investigating if the armband was "political"), the row over the Allianz and then the response of German monuments and other stadiums in rainbow colours, both captains in England-Germany wearing the armband - things like Henderson's comment above. It's like nothing I've seen before in men's football and it's quite moving to see - I hope it does lead to more of a lasting shift but it is really striking.

And I suspect this might be an issue in Qatar - as well as all the other human rights issues - I suspect this may be a thing for Western European nations. And I think it might now be an ongoing issue in football in Europe - in the way that racism is - while I think previously homophobia was always mentioned in recent years but not in an engaged or meaningful way, especially because I think there are black players while so far there haven't been any openly gay players, but it just feels like there are now players who may be straight but will raise it. I hope it lasts.

Edit: I've mainly seen it with Germany and England - I'm not sure about other teams, but I think it might have been a few other mainly Western European countries.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on July 01, 2021, 03:51:08 AM
But screaming suck it you little nazi?.... No. Lots of people crossing the line and not getting it.

Yeah, calling her a Nazi is obviously way across the line and shitty.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on June 30, 2021, 05:54:59 PM

Ok but is not at all what is in the content of what I linked.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 30, 2021, 05:34:14 PM
I mean I wouldn't necessarily link it to Brexit - I mean these are two Remainers:
QuoteBen Judah
@b_judah
Camera switched briefly to a crying German child — ha, now you know what all our childhoods were like.

Leonardo Carella
@leonardocarella
Replying to
@b_judah
and
@tom_nuttall
People in the pub burst out laughing Face with tears of joy
(One British-French, the other, I think, Italian).

All cced by Economist Berlin reporter. Those tweets that Stan Collymore are far nastier/more personal.

But I can't be the only person to have chuckled at that sort of thing (I didn't see this kid) especially when it's a rival while remembering times when I was a kid and cried at football results - and I really remember my brother being in absolute floods when Portugal knocked out England. Like we've all been there as the crying kid - it's human right? (Mildly panicked I'm a monster....)

Although I admire the German commentators line: "it's no reason to cry, it's just football." :lol:

Not sure what the "it" is you are referring to.  If you are referring to what I linked it is not at all, "I cried as a kid too". 

I really don't wish the comments that were made to be normalized or in any way excused.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 01, 2021, 10:49:31 AM
Ok but is not at all what is in the content of what I linked.

For sure. I wasn't commenting about the content you linked. You told me it was awful and I believe you. I didn't even look at it, because frankly I don't need to read stuff where people are being shitty to children on social media.

I was commenting on the comment Tyr posted - "now you know what our childhoods were like" which was, IMO, within bounds if not exactly kind and empathetic.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 01, 2021, 10:51:01 AM
Not sure what the "it" is you are referring to.  If you are referring to what I linked it is not at all, "I cried as a kid too". 

I really don't wish the comments that were made to be normalized or in any way excused.

I really wish you'd refrain from making the Euro thread about shitty shitheads being shitheads on social media.

Valmy

I don't know what to tell you man. Those kinds of comments are totally normal and expected on Twitter, and have been for about a decade. It is a vehicle designed to facilitate those sorts of comments.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Basically what Jake said - I totally agree on the comments you linked to as disgusting and I think sharing that picture of the kid is also really unnecessary.

There are others that are within bounds including those I was referring to and copied which were made by more remainy people. I don't care enough about international football, plus my loyalties are muted and conflicted - everyone I grew up with cheered England getting knocked out of anything, my dad is an Ireland fan (and an anyone but England fan :lol:) and I lived in Scotland. But I can't honestly say I've not at least chuckled if not outright cheered at fans including kids in Liverpool kits crying when they get knocked out of things. So I think that reaction - especially in a pub against a rival is absolutely not kind or empathetic, but I think it's broader and more common and wider than a Brexit thing and different from the comments you linked.

And I query with those if it's a good idea to show them like that because I don't know how many followers those accounts have because I don't want to engage in them any more than other Twitter racists, but I'd guess it's fewer than Stan Collymore's 900,000 followers. I always slightly wonder the cost benefit of shining a light v expanding their reach - it's different than if you inadvertantly come across it on your timeline and you can just block and ignore. Or, say, real things which you can't ignore and where I think social media helps drive change, like the minority who still boo the taking of the knee but are now overwhelmingly drowned out by the rest of the stadium or hopefully something similar will happen with the English booing of other national anthems which happens in stadiums and always a disgrace - and there was a really strong negative reaction on social media about that, like the taking the knee booing, so I hope that will shift too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Great OG to start the Switzerland-Spain 1/4 final. 1-0 for Spain.  :P

Threviel

Not watching, but the text updates indicates that Spain is up to their usual football-as-entertainment-destroying shenanigans.

Duque de Bragança

Still trying to jinx Switzerland or what?

Sheilbh

:o (is it happening again? :ph34r:)
Let's bomb Russia!