News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Teaching English Abroad

Started by jimmy olsen, July 21, 2009, 10:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

HisMajestyBOB

Hey Tim, this is where I download all my Death Note episodes: http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?t=1690

I'm up to ep 20 out of 37, and it hasn't jumped the shark yet.

jimmy olsen

I looked at a summary of the episodes and it will occur eventually.

Also, me and Bob got our asses kicked by some spicy chicken. :blush:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 24, 2010, 01:42:29 AM
me and Bob got

And you call yourself an English teacher. Tsk, tsk.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Experts Predict Robots to Replace Foreign English Teachers

by Robert Koehler on January 28, 2010

in Ministry of Barbarian Affairs

From the KT:

During the second decade of the New Millennium, robots are expected to replace a number of English-speaking teachers here, who come from such countries as the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and Canada.

At a robotics forum, which brought together 150 experts from across the country late last week in Seoul, participants predicted that English-speaking robots would fill the shoes of native speakers in the future.

"By around 2015, robots should be able to help teachers in English classes. By 2018, they should be able to teach on their own while communicating with students," said Kim Shin-hwan, an economist at the Hyundai Research Institute.
    [...]
    Kim said that the numerous native English speakers at Korea's language institutes – estimated in the vicinity of 30,000 – will lose their jobs in the not-so-distant future.

http://www.rjkoehler.com/2010/01/28/experts-predict-robots-to-replace-foreign-english-teachers/
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2010/01/123_59809.html

Oh noes! :(

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I look forward to the influx of Korean tourists using terms like "does not compute" and "file not found."
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

HMB, me and my coteacher are probably going to hit the  Costco in Seoul at 12-12:30 on Saturday?

You game? We're probably going to watch Avatar in Suwon after that. You can come if you don't buy anything perishable. It'll keep in his car, but transporting it back to Incheon from Suwon would be iffy.

1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

I'll be in Jeju from Wednesday till Saturday next week. I don't know when I'll get back from Jeju yet, but probably in the evening.

DisturbedPervert

Josquius

If you're still teaching English in Korea in 50 years having your job potentially stolen by robots I'd think would be a blessing.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on January 31, 2010, 07:26:01 PM
If you're still teaching English in Korea in 50 years having your job potentially stolen by robots I'd think would be a blessing.
Robots teaching English in 50 years I could believe, but not in 8 years which is what the article said.

1 Karma Chameleon point