Main Menu

Teaching English Abroad

Started by jimmy olsen, July 21, 2009, 10:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 01, 2009, 06:22:10 PM
And I'm off to orientation for the next 3 days. What a waste of my time. <_<
You'll be oriental before you're done.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on November 23, 2009, 03:58:13 PMBecause that sounds useful. Writing down word for word someone speaking in a manner that isn't typically observed.

Dictation is (was) used for native languages as well.  Generally I think it's considered good for spelling and so on.

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on December 01, 2009, 09:32:43 PM
You'll be oriental before you're done.
:lol:
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on December 01, 2009, 09:54:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 23, 2009, 03:58:13 PMBecause that sounds useful. Writing down word for word someone speaking in a manner that isn't typically observed.

Dictation is (was) used for native languages as well.  Generally I think it's considered good for spelling and so on.

We used to have dictation in (native German) language class. Main focus (besides spelling) was interpunctuation and proper capitalization.

I found it much harder in French. Understanding from context whether it would be en, ans, on (all sounding the same to me) etc. was pretty hard for me.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on December 04, 2009, 02:43:36 PMWe used to have dictation in (native German) language class. Main focus (besides spelling) was interpunctuation and proper capitalization.

I found it much harder in French. Understanding from context whether it would be en, ans, on (all sounding the same to me) etc. was pretty hard for me.

... and thus pretty useful, I'd think.

BuddhaRhubarb

New teachers all have this reaction to training it seems. Eventually it won't bug you at all, though it may still bore you.
:p

jimmy olsen

Actually most of the presentations turned out to be useful.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

LaCroix

though you may have been asked this already in the thread, how are you enjoying south korea? is your base of operations a large city or smaller than you thought? what do you do in your free time, and are you exploring your area as much as you can? how long do you have? have you run across many north korean-south korean adversarial sentiments?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lacroix on December 05, 2009, 02:18:39 AM
though you may have been asked this already in the thread, how are you enjoying south korea? is your base of operations a large city or smaller than you thought? what do you do in your free time, and are you exploring your area as much as you can? how long do you have? have you run across many north korean-south korean adversarial sentiments?

I live in a small town in a rural area. I'm luck in that there are 7 foreign teachers living in my apartment building, and three more in the immediate area. There are a few good restaurants, and one can go drinking or to the noraebang (karaoke). However most weekends we take the bus to Suwon, which has 1 million people. That takes about 45 minutes. Sometimes we go to Seoul but that's another 30-45 minutes by train/subway. The cultural sights are great, but going out to Seoul is hard, because the buses and subway stop at 11pm and don't start 'till 5am so you have to stay out all night. At least in Suwon you can take a cab back for a decent price.

I haven't talked to many people about North Korea, but most seem to think that America is overly paranoid, and Kim is just bluffing to get paid.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

LaCroix

cool.  :)

do you tend to stick with your fellow foreigners, or have you branched out? how are you enjoying the experience thus far?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lacroix on December 05, 2009, 02:58:16 AM
cool.  :)

do you tend to stick with your fellow foreigners, or have you branched out? how are you enjoying the experience thus far?
Yeah, it's hard to meet people who can speak English well this far out in the sticks.

I really like it so far.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

How's your Korean coming along?
Being in a country where you've no choice but to speak the language must be odd...but good for learning.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on December 05, 2009, 04:40:06 AM
How's your Korean coming along?
Being in a country where you've no choice but to speak the language must be odd...but good for learning.
It's not really coming along well, most teachers, even one's who've been here a while have awful Korean. There's not much incentive when you know you're going back home eventually.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.