From the "Black People Arrest Themselves" files

Started by CountDeMoney, July 21, 2009, 05:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on July 23, 2009, 05:53:32 PMThe police officer claims (and this is, insofar as I know, uncontested, that he twice warned Gates that he was engaged in disorderly conduct, but Gates ignored him.  While one might argue that even warning Gates was unwise, as the grounds for arrest were two flimsy, it says a lot about Gates's state of mind that he continued his harangue even after the warnings.

We always let them know where they were headed if they kept it up. 
I used to count to 5 with them. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it aggravated them even more.  In which case, I counted faster.  To 3.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2009, 03:53:54 PM
Not out in public within earshot of passersby.  Then that is a misdemeanor, and he was charged accordingly.
What JR is saying is that it is unprofessional to enforce some particular laws.  Some cops would agree.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on July 23, 2009, 06:07:37 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2009, 03:53:54 PM
Not out in public within earshot of passersby.  Then that is a misdemeanor, and he was charged accordingly.
What JR is saying is that it is unprofessional to enforce some particular laws.  Some cops would agree.

I said there was a difference between a proper arrest and a necessary one.  Proper, but may not have been necessary--that is, until he wouldn't shut the fuck up and kept making an assclown of himself on the front porch.

Siege

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 23, 2009, 03:47:29 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 23, 2009, 03:44:10 PM
He is a Grade A asshole. The kind of guy who is probably a great friend to those he considers his peers, but treats anyone he thinks of as lower in the social structure like shit.

You know all that from this one incident?

I agree with Berkut.
That's the way Gates come across.

1) Gates was inmidiately hostile to the cop, that's there to protect society, which to me means that Gates doesn't see himself as part of this society, since the US is "white dominated".

2) Gates reaction was that of the aristocrat asked for ID by a lowly peasant. He clearly sees himself as part of the intellectual aristocracy. The intellectual liberal elite that knows best.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Quote from: derspiess on July 23, 2009, 04:00:39 PM
Quote from: Jaron on July 23, 2009, 03:55:32 PM
How so?

His admiration for Stalin, communism (IIRC he officially joined up), imperial Japan whilst it was raping China, not to mention his hatred for just about everything white and/or American. 

The fact that he happened to be on the right side of some civil rights issues doesn't negate all this, either.

Whoa, are you serious?
Gates is a commie??

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2009, 06:13:28 PM
I said there was a difference between a proper arrest and a necessary one.  Proper, but may not have been necessary--that is, until he wouldn't shut the fuck up and kept making an assclown of himself on the front porch.
I was talking with the ex-head of the local sheriff's department (he wasn't the sheriff, he was the head professional deputy) and he said he would never make a DC arrest - if he didn't have anything better, he would let it go.

You don't have to make an arrest just because you can.  Gates was in the wrong, according to even his side of the story, but not so far in the wrong as to need the force of the justice machinery to be brought to bear.  Once the cop threatened arrest, though, he probably thought he needed to follow through (especially with the other cops there). 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Quote from: Jaron on July 23, 2009, 04:04:41 PM
I think given the time and circumstance he grew up in, you could hardly blame him for these things.

Can I use this argument to defend myself when you accusse me of things I haven't done?

Or is it only reserved for blacks?

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on July 23, 2009, 06:58:41 PM
How so?

His admiration for Stalin, communism (IIRC he officially joined up), imperial Japan whilst it was raping China, not to mention his hatred for just about everything white and/or American. 

The fact that he happened to be on the right side of some civil rights issues doesn't negate all this, either.

Whoa, are you serious?
Gates is a commie??

Damn you are stupid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Quote from: Malthus on July 23, 2009, 04:17:27 PM
I would love to see a Rashomon type treatment of this.

I loved that movie. Haven't seen it in many years.

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2009, 07:08:37 PM
Quote from: Siege on July 23, 2009, 06:58:41 PM
How so?

Whoa, are you serious?
Gates is a commie??

Damn you are stupid.

But you'll never dare tell me that to my face.

Siege

C.C.R.

Can somebody please, in 100 words or less, explain to me why I should get my panties in a bunch about some Harvard professor that makes six figures a year goading some cop that, at best, has a bachelor's in Criminal Justice & makes $40K or $50K a year into getting pissed off & arresting him?

Hell, I flunked out of college after my second freshman year and I could walk out my front door right now & piss off a cop to the point of arresting me within ten minutes.  I'm not sure how successful I would be with subsequently getting the charges dropped, though...

:(