News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 08, 2020, 02:07:33 AM
The affidavit is also somewhat less than compelling. It basically says he overheard a conversation between 2 other people. He did not witness any postmark manipulation himself. 

I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that falls under "hearsay". No court would even hear that, if that's the only evidence
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on November 08, 2020, 07:44:18 AM
The affidavit is also somewhat less than compelling. It basically says he overheard a conversation between 2 other people. He did not witness any postmark manipulation himself. 

I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that falls under "hearsay". No court would even hear that, if that's the only evidence
I don't know... I've seen some weird arguments lately in US courts, it wouldn't surprised me if they could find a judge somewhere that would find a weird way to accept this. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Josephus on November 08, 2020, 07:44:18 AM

Yes it's hearsay.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Seen today in BCN:

It's a riff on Rocky V's poster, so I hope the presidency is a bit better than the movie!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Solmyr on November 08, 2020, 05:20:51 AM
Long article from Politico about the internal fuckuppedness of the Trump campaign: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/07/this-f-ing-virus-inside-donald-trumps-2020-undoing-434716

Oooh, the cringe of some parts of Trump's campaign stories.  :lol:

QuoteInfighting, lap dance jokes and hot tub parties
As they struggled to address the cash woes, Trump's advisers had another headache: Guilfoyle, the campaign's fundraising chair.

Republican Party and campaign officials were convinced that Guilfoyle's team, which was beset by infighting and departures, was vastly underperforming. There was anger over their abrupt cancelation of a late September virtual fundraiser with the president that was supposed to rake in as much as $15 million just ahead of the third quarter deadline.

Senior campaign officials, meanwhile, had been getting reports that Guilfoyle had been berating her staff. Appearing together at fundraisers, Guilfoyle and her boyfriend, Donald Trump Jr., would banter in sexually suggestive ways that made some donors uncomfortable.

During a December donor event at Trump Hotel in Washington, Guilfoyle offered to give a lap dance to whoever raised the most money, according to two people who were present and another person who was familiar with the episode.

And at an event in Jackson Hole, Wyo. earlier this year, Guilfoyle and the younger Trump joked about how she raised money while in hot tubs. Another attendee presented a slightly different version, saying that whoever in the audience raised the most money would be offered a hot tub party with Guilfoyle.

And at a fall 2018 fundraiser headlined by country star Toby Keith, Guilfoyle cracked that her boyfriend liked it when she dressed up as a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader, according to an attendee.

Who would have thought that nepotism is not a good tool for picking the right person for a job?

Sheilbh

There were very weird sexual harassment allegations about Guilfoyle, they got overshadowed by some other stories.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

QuoteDan Crenshaw

I've signed onto this letter to AG Barr asking to investigate claims of voter fraud. We must let every last legal vote to be counted, the court process to play out, every irregularity to be investigated, and the elections to be certified.

Americans need to have faith that the outcome was legitimate. Right now many do not.

And once that is over - win or lose - we must accept the outcome of this election.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Wait, Grover Cleveland served two terms.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Don't think federal marshals have jurisdiction over enforcement of state court orders, assuming hypothetically there existed any state court orders that required enforcement.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Biden's AZ margin climbed back over 20k. The vote counting nerds on Twitter are basically saying it's over. Joe will win AZ.

I guess the Fox/AP people knew something we didn't. Or they just got lucky  ;)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Dropped down to 16,592 8 minutes ago in AZ.  it looks to me like Trump is going to pull a squeaker in AZ.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2020, 06:45:55 PM
it looks to me like Trump is going to pull a squeaker in AZ.

Nope I read the numbers wrong.  Biden in a squeaker.

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on November 08, 2020, 06:05:21 AM
This election was rough on me.  I was so nervous that I had a psychotic episode.  After pulling a bunch of nails out of the wall and getting some sleep I think I'm okay.

:hug:

I'm sorry, Raz. I hope you're doing better now. :wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...