News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Isn't Junior the stupid one?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on November 05, 2020, 05:21:59 PM
God, the 2024 GOP primaries will be such a circus. I perversely can't wait  :lol:

(the presidential election will probably be very stressful, though)

My money is still on Trump to be the 2024 nominee.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on November 05, 2020, 05:24:12 PM

...who is really popular with the base.

If it's not dad, it's going to be Don Jr.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Live reports on the front indicate soldiers from the Pennsylvanian Front will be linking up in Berlin with advance elements of the Arizonan, Nevadan, and Georgian Fronts very soon.

Onward Comrades!
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DGuller

I'm skeptical of Don Jr.'s chances.  It takes a certain rare talent to hypnotize people the way Donald has done his whole life.  Being able to hypnotize people is the key to his success.  Doing what the Donald has been doing without that ability would bring very predictable consequences to you.

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on November 05, 2020, 05:17:17 PM
:unsure:

I don't remember stating my opinion on this one way or another, but no, I don't have a problem with the delays. I feel like everyone's legal vote should count, and these are all legal votes.

I'm more upset that it's even this close. We're talking about a toddler versus an old man. This really shouldn't be that hard.

It was back before the election, like Monday or something. Ancient history.

To be clear, obviously everyone who voted under the rules of the election at that time should have their vote count. To disallow votes received after election day that were mailed before -- when the rules said that was fine at the time -- would be egregious.

The question is theoretically what should the rules be--like for the next election.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on November 05, 2020, 05:24:12 PM

Eric is supposed to be the dumb one, or at least that's the way he's portrayed in SNL.  :P

Maladict

Quote from: DGuller on November 05, 2020, 05:35:27 PM
I'm skeptical of Don Jr.'s chances.  It takes a certain rare talent to hypnotize people the way Donald has done his whole life.  Being able to hypnotize people is the key to his success.  Doing what the Donald has been doing without that ability would bring very predictable consequences to you.

The GOP establishment has four years to pivot away from Trump and find enough dirt to make sure that family never gets close to a nomination again.

Eddie Teach

They're both chips off the old blockhead.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Classy.

QuoteDONALD Trump Jr said the US "should go to total war" and "expose the fraud and cheating" in ballots as Joe Biden nears a win today.

Taking to Twitter to air his grievances over the count on Thursday, Don Jr raged: "The best thing for America's future is for [Donald Trump] to go to total war over this election."

Don Jr posted this Twitter shortly after 5pm EST on Wednesday – which was rapidly flagged by the platform

He claimed that the purpose of this civil war would be "to expose all of the fraud, cheating, dead/no longer in state voters, that has been going on for far too long."

"It's time to clean up this mess & stop looking like a banana republic!" Don Jr concluded his inflammatory rant this evening.

His incendiary statement was rapidly flagged by Twitter.

The social media giant warned that "some or all of the content shared in this Tweet is disputed and might be misleading about an election or other civic process" and linked to their Civic Integrity Policy.

This states that users "may not use Twitter's services for the purpose of manipulating or interfering in elections or other civic processes."

"This includes posting or sharing content that may suppress participation or mislead people about when, where, or how to participate in a civic process," Twitter's statement continued.

Maladict

Trump to release a statement in half an hour.  A graceful concession, surely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on November 05, 2020, 02:15:14 PM
Yi and Meri, are you reconsidering the idea that it is cool that ballots can still arrive after the polls close? I know that isn't the only (or even main) reason the count is still going, but there is something to be said for getting mail in ballots out with plenty of time, and having it be the voters responsibility to get it to election officials by election day (including in drop boxes) or to vote in person.

Two problems:
1) In a practical sense, the delayed count is destroying any mandate Biden would have had. Historically the votes are counted Tuesday, and one party loses and one wins. The losing party is demoralized, and gives the new president some leeway.

Biden would have won with about 306 electoral college votes, 52% of the vote and a 4 point margin of victory (probably). A resounding win. But instead of feeling defeated, Republicans seem to be energized, and a sizeable group thinking this is being stolen from them. McConnell is openly discussing unprecedented levels of obstructionism.

2) Imagine this becomes a close to tie vote. It comes down to Pennsylvania and the vote margin is 50 votes. You have tens of thousands of absentee ballots floating around that never got submitted. People start trying to send them in, claiming they were submitted before, maybe the post man finds some that slid under the seat in his car, etc. It is a recipe for even more chaos.

That's an issue of setting the post mark deadline to late.  I'd be perfectly happy with a legal requirement of a post mark a week before election day.  Also don't forget that in some states they're not allowed to start counting mail ins until election day.

Admiral Yi

Biscuit, what do you mean by cured ballots?  Like a way to make absentee ballots with no secrecy envelope count?

DGuller

Why do they call it "cured" anyway?  Because some doctoring is involved?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DGuller on November 05, 2020, 06:08:15 PM
Why do they call it "cured" anyway?  Because some doctoring is involved?
Obvs.  They will stop at nothing to cure the disease afflicting this country.
PDH!