Happy Birthday Bilbo and Frodo Baggins and Enjoy the Autumn Equinox

Started by mongers, September 22, 2020, 03:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Autumn officially begins here today.

And for once the equinox did signal a change, from unusually warm and sunny weather this morning/lunchtime to cloudy, cooler prevailing winds from the Atlantic by 1pm.   :bowler:

Also since one's getting less light to do things in I thought I'd mark the events by re-reading LOTR, haven't done that in a good few years.

Anyone got any plans for the Autumn/Winter/Lockdown 2.0?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on September 22, 2020, 03:58:01 PM
Thinkng about doing some exercise to work off the weight I gained in Lockdown 1 :(
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

I plan to wake up and have be exactly the same, day after day, until the magic cure comes along.

So my 2021 is filled up too.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 22, 2020, 04:01:42 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 22, 2020, 03:58:01 PM
Thinkng about doing some exercise to work off the weight I gained in Lockdown 1 :(

Right?? :weep:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2020, 05:00:54 PM
Am I the only one who lost weight in lock down?

Not the only one, but there weren't many.

I don't think I gained more than 5 pounds, but the lack of hockey and other exercise was a negative for me.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PJL

Actually Bilbo's birthday was last week, since the Shire Reckoning calendar starts on the Winter Solistice, so all dates are shifted about 8-9 days compared to ours.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2020, 05:00:54 PM
Am I the only one who lost weight in lock down?

I did! But as a conscious effort. I've lost 40 pounds. Another ten to go and I'll reach the weight I want to sustain.

Mainly because in lock down it is easier to control what I eat.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PJL on September 22, 2020, 05:09:57 PM
Actually Bilbo's birthday was last week, since the Shire Reckoning calendar starts on the Winter Solistice, so all dates are shifted about 8-9 days compared to ours.

Actually, Bilbo doesn't exist.   :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 23, 2020, 03:58:53 PM

Leonard Nimoy lied to me?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LR-MSZSLC5w

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on September 23, 2020, 04:28:51 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 23, 2020, 03:58:53 PM

Leonard Nimoy lied to me?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LR-MSZSLC5w

But Vulcan's cannot lie!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Started to read the first book, for some reason my nice edition has in the intervening 40 years since bought, turned into unreadable yellowed faded copies of LOTR  :(

Any one know of a good quality paper, compact, three volume edition to buy?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"