News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Real problem with cancel culture

Started by viper37, July 12, 2020, 10:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on December 21, 2021, 10:50:03 AM
How on earth are they pinning that one on wokeness?
Remove a word which these days is mostly just known a a swear word... Is being against swearing woke now? As someone fine with swearing am I anti woke?
Really shows the meaningless of the term.
The comments are stupid too "it's not racist it's about loyalty and preserverance!" - and hound doesn't do this as well as bitch?
Blackie Boy in Newcastle I think is a better example. Though it looks equally awful for the anti woke cult.
That article literally doesn't include the word "woke" and it was a female dog! Like Greyfriars Bobby (Scotland clearly loves a story about a loyal dog :lol:). Maybe if I'd posted a Daily Mail take any of this would make sense, but that's not really the Guardian's angle or any of the campaigners angle on this.

I'm not sure if the Newcastle one is a better example because it absolutely could just be about local blacksmiths. But I wouldn't bet folding money on that about any pub that's had that name, in a port city in the UK, since the late 18th/early 19th century.

This seems a far more legit example because it's a story in Linlithgow since the 13th century. It's on the town crest. It has a very specific local connotation and I'm sure lots of schoolkids have giggled at the possibility of swearing (just like with Dirty Dicks on Liverpool Street or any of the hundreds of something "cock" pubs), but that's not what it means.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I was referring to the story in general rather than just this article. Earlier something was posted about it being a nasty woke move.

The Newcastle one was only named Blackie boy in the 80s iirc, purportedly about a blacksmith yes, and its name change was to something totally different as part of a refurb...still had the cult in hysterics.
This one they're keeping the black and the meaning and merely changing the swear word.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Remove a word which these days is mostly just known a a swear word... Is being against swearing woke now? As someone fine with swearing am I anti woke?
The comments are stupid too "it's not racist it's about loyalty and preserverance!" - and hound doesn't do this as well as bitch?
Blackie Boy in Newcastle I think is a better example. Though it looks equally awful for the anti woke cult.

It's not the swearing, it's the racial aspect.

Here's a question for you Squeeze, if this particular story is not about wokeness, doesn't that mean that other stories can in fact be about wokeness, and therefore wokeness is a thing?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 21, 2021, 12:54:29 PM

It's not the swearing, it's the racial aspect.

It seems to be the swearing to me. Black is staying. Just bitch is changing to hound.

Here's a question for you Squeeze, if this particular story is not about wokeness, doesn't that mean that other stories can in fact be about wokeness, and therefore wokeness is a thing?
I don't get the question
Yes. If there was an article about lions saying they are dogs that wouldn't necessarily mean cats or dogs don't exist.
But equally if it correctly said they were cats that would mean nothing for the existence of dogs.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

So you are agreeing that wokeness exists?

As an American my first thought was race.  It would not have been problematic if it were The White Bitch or the Green Bitch.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 21, 2021, 02:34:50 PM
So you are agreeing that wokeness exists?

As an American my first thought was race.  It would not have been problematic if it were The White Bitch or the Green Bitch.
No. Not at all. I'm saying your question doesn't make sense. I'm confused how you could get this conclusion from one article.

Disagree that a different coloured btich would much change it.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

If you say "how can this possibly be a cat?" that means "cat" must exist.

If can't doesn't exist your question is meaningless, because nothing is cat and this particular example is no different than anything else.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 21, 2021, 03:07:30 PM
If you say "how can this possibly be a cat flying spaghetti monster?" that means "cat" flying spaghetti monster must exist.

If can't flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist your question is meaningless, because nothing is cat flying spaghetti monster and this particular example is no different than anything else.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Flying Spaghetti Monster is an object, not a concept. The concept of a flying spaghetti monster does exist.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Yeah... Im lost.
That a flying spaghetti monster is a particularly mad example of a god doesn't necessarily mean gods are real, or indeed not. Its irrelevant at best.
If anything it highlights the stupidity and flexibility of the concept.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on December 21, 2021, 04:31:57 PM
Yeah... Im lost.
That a flying spaghetti monster is a particularly mad example of a god doesn't necessarily mean gods are real, or indeed not. Its irrelevant

But if you can say F.S.M> is a particularly mad example of a god, that must mean you have in mind a more reasonable example of a god.

Similarly you must have in mind a more reasonable example of wokeness.  Something that approaches wokeness more closely than the Black Bitch.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

I don't even know what we came to or on here.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 21, 2021, 04:39:18 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 21, 2021, 04:31:57 PM
Yeah... Im lost.
That a flying spaghetti monster is a particularly mad example of a god doesn't necessarily mean gods are real, or indeed not. Its irrelevant

But if you can say F.S.M> is a particularly mad example of a god, that must mean you have in mind a more reasonable example of a god.

Similarly you must have in mind a more reasonable example of wokeness.  Something that approaches wokeness more closely than the Black Bitch.

Sure. That it looks a bit more coherent when targeted at gay rights and anti racism rather than pub names or non traditional gardens does nothing to show its a coherent ideology however. It merely shows there's degrees to the anti woke madness ranging from just the latest trendy term for "left of centre shit" to "anything I dislike is woke"
██████
██████
██████