News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Real problem with cancel culture

Started by viper37, July 12, 2020, 10:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

he also ironically played the the CFL for Toronto as a  back up
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PDH

Quote from: DGuller on November 18, 2021, 03:04:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2021, 03:01:32 PM
He's currently the QB coach and "assing game coordinator" for the Buffalo Bills.
I don't want to know neither that game nor what the coordination for it entails. :x
Josh Allen is dreamy.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on November 18, 2021, 03:04:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2021, 03:01:32 PM
He's currently the QB coach and "assing game coordinator" for the Buffalo Bills.
I don't want to know neither that game nor what the coordination for it entails. :x

^_^
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on November 18, 2021, 12:49:36 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2021, 04:23:50 AM
Are you warning those of us here who are critiquing wokism that we run the risk of being mistaken for far right nutters?
It's been pretty much the case for anyone criticizing left wing antics.

Ah yes. The old "you just call anyone who disagrees with you a fascist" attack line.

Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2021, 02:58:20 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 18, 2021, 03:41:20 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2021, 02:26:49 AM
I don't really care that much how the right uses the word.  Why should anyone else?

I obviously disagree about grievance and status.
Because that's the dominant usage of the word in 2021.

It is ironic that you feel you have the right to use the word yourself, and have it mean (when you use it) to mean what YOU want it to mean.

But if I or Yi use it, then it doesn't matter what we mean by the word, because the "dominant usage" provision comes into effect, and we have to defend how some other group use it.
I don't use it. I can't think of any example where I would other than in reference to the anti-woke brigade. It's being used here so obviously I have to repeat it to talk about it. It's not the n word.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2021, 11:17:04 AM
Also, who doesn't experiment in college?
unless you count drinking to excess, doing drugs and sleeping with more than one gir l as "experimenting", you can make it "most guys". :P
Contrary to popular opinion among gays, most guys don't experiment sex with another guy on campus just to see if they like it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on November 18, 2021, 01:35:13 PM
I think Dorsey experimented with being black while in college, IIRC.
ah?  That was him in Soul Man?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: ulmont on November 18, 2021, 02:17:35 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2021, 02:00:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2021, 01:06:49 PM

Most people here would be fired if they experimented being Indian while in college.

I'm not sure being mistaken for Indian is really a personal failing.

I've assumed you were Indian for over a decade now, FYI.
It could be worst.  I met in person and didn't realized he was black until much later. :P

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2021, 02:22:02 PM
Quote from: ulmont on November 18, 2021, 02:17:35 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2021, 02:00:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2021, 01:06:49 PM

Most people here would be fired if they experimented being Indian while in college.

I'm not sure being mistaken for Indian is really a personal failing.

I've assumed you were Indian for over a decade now, FYI.

Meowtf?

I'm sure I saw a post like:

Quote from: The Brain on November 10, 2020, 05:13:46 PM
Quote from: katmai on November 10, 2020, 05:12:53 PM
Has anyone ever met garbon??

He's Indian.

and somehow had missed a post like:

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 07:53:57 PM
I wouldn't have been pretending to be Indian if my mother was Indian.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on November 18, 2021, 05:38:36 PM
Ah yes. The old "you just call anyone who disagrees with you a fascist" attack line.
It's pretty much true, unfortunately.  But if we refer to leftist as commies, it's bad.

Look at the treatment BB usually receive for defending conservative values.
I've been called a racist multiple times by CC and Jacob for being anti-Canadian Liberal Party and pro-Conservative party.

Anyone in the Republican party now gets associated with Trump and the very fine people.  Ok, bad example this one.  They're kinda looking for it. :P

Habbaku

Can garbon not be both Black and Indian?  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on November 18, 2021, 07:29:38 PM
I've been called a racist multiple times by CC and Jacob for being anti-Canadian Liberal Party and pro-Conservative party.

No you haven't you dolt.

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on November 18, 2021, 07:24:59 PM
and somehow had missed a post like:

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 07:53:57 PM
I wouldn't have been pretending to be Indian if my mother was Indian.

Yes and apparently the more revealing content also passed you by:

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 08:05:44 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2012, 08:03:36 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2012, 08:00:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 07:58:13 PM
I don't follow. It was pretty much common knowledge on here that I pretended to be Indian for a little bit.

OK.

Was the hoax revealed by any chance in the comic book, anime, or NHL threads?

IIRC he pretended to be Indian IRL and told us about it on the forum. His only claims to be Indian here were jokes, not a hoax.

Thanks and it wasn't even that shady. Everyone just assumed I was Indian (very odd given my hair) and I simply didn't correct their errors.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Tyr on November 18, 2021, 05:38:36 PM
It's pretty much true, unfortunately.  But if we refer to leftist as commies, it's bad.

Anyone in the Republican party now gets associated with Trump and the very fine people.  Ok, bad example this one.  They're kinda looking for it. :P

It's not true in the slightest. Far far more often than I've ran into someone being called a fascist I've ran into knee jerk right wingers wanting to play the victim and jumping to "you call everyone you don't like a nazi!" or some variation thereof when nobody has actually said that.
Recently a football blog I follow had an article on our fans misbehaving and booing kneeling. The comments were replete with "you just hate everyone with a different opinion!" when.... This wasn't happening at all. Quite the opposite. It was a very specific opinion being singled out.

As to referring to lefties as commies being worse.... The thing there is as an attack its daft and rarely true. Communists are at a 10 men and a dog level in the west. Fascist thinking however is very common these days. Whilst the mainstream left hovers left of centre there is a huge push with the likes of trump towards fascism stripped of branding.
And that's before you even factor in the warped outlook that the ussr was bad because of its left wing economics rather than because it was a brutal authoritarian dictatorship.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

I would be very interested in seeing a link to any time anyone has called you a racist in this forum. 

BB's treatment is consistent with one who defends positions taken by the conservative wing of the Conservatives.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2021, 12:59:16 PM

I would be very interested in seeing a link to any time anyone has called you a racist in this forum. 

BB's treatment is consistent with one who defends positions taken by the conservative wing of the Conservatives.

It's nice to see you admit that you harass people based on the politics they express.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.