News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most expensive military project failures

Started by Brazen, April 20, 2020, 09:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Hello strangers! I'm working on an article you lot might enjoy and have something to contribute.

What post-WWII military programmes have proven the most spectacular and expensive design mistakes?

This comes off the back of the US Navy spending $400,000 on a chemical flush for poorly-designed heads on two aircraft carriers. https://www.naval-technology.com/news/carrier-toilet-problems/

grumbler

The Zumwalt class destroyers probably top the list.

The B-58 Hustler is probably a good one to research, as it was famously expensive and never really panned out, being taken out of service after less than 10 years.  The B-52 was introduced five years earlier than the B-58 and lasted (so far) fifty years later in service.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Oh, and US Navy shitters have been problem children since they went away from the salt-water flush type.  Just a complete story of those debacles would be a long article or short book.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

celedhring

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on April 20, 2020, 09:42:18 AM
Oh, and US Navy shitters have been problem children since they went away from the salt-water flush type.  Just a complete story of those debacles would be a long article or short book.

IIRC there was a very costly program for the toilet in I thing the A6 Prowler* navy jet, or at the least the toilet seat itself was Very expensive.

* Not totally sure it was the prowler, but I think was some naval EW/recon jet, probably not the E2 and I don't think the S3.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on April 20, 2020, 09:55:01 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 20, 2020, 09:42:18 AM

IIRC there was a very costly program for the toilet in I thing the A6 Prowler* navy jet, or at the least the toilet seat itself was Very expensive.

* Not totally sure it was the prowler, but I think was some naval EW/recon jet, probably not the E2 and I don't think the S3.

Have you seen Flight of the Asstruder?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on April 20, 2020, 09:55:01 AM

Pretty sure that was the P-3 with the toilet seat thing.  Couldn't have been the A-6 or S-3 as those didn't have toilets.

Bayraktar!

Maladict

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2020, 10:00:06 AM
No one has said the F-35 yet?  :hmm:

Yeah, that would be the one for us.

That and the new base for the Marine Corps. The Navy kept pushing ahead with a new base even though it became clear the marines resisted the move. The plan was finally axed in February, after a sizeable fraction of marines quit over having to move 200km. Close to a hundred million was spent, and the marines still need a new base. But it doesn't need to be as big anymore, I suppose.

Barrister

Won't be most expensive by total dollars, but I thought I'd throw out a couple Canadian examples:

-Upholder/Victoria class submarines.  Built by the Brits in the 70s, only in service for about a decade.  Then sold to Canada, where they've been nothing but trouble.
-the 30 year saga to replace the Sea King helicopters
-and yeah, the F-35
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Is the F35 a true failure, or just much more costly and functional than most countries want/can afford right now?

Honest question.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Maladict

That time when Olaf the Hairy, high chief of all the vikings, accidentally ordered 80,000 battle helmets with the horns on the inside.