49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Josephus

Quote from: fromtia on April 04, 2020, 12:43:17 PM
@Josephus, sorry to hear about the paper, that's a bummer. I saw that the ranks of the Languish unemployed had gone up by one and wondered who it was.

I'm on day 16 since my place was closed. Starting to lose my mind a little bit, but staying busy cooking for my family, making the yard pretty and going on bike rides.

I'm making peasant food, soups and stews. Still no yeast, so its still homemade flat bread.

Beard is coming in nicely, thinking of doing a quarantine mohawk to go with.
:hug:

thanks. Gonna start on a beard too. I mean, I can't afford these online razor blade deliveries anymore  :lol:

Stay well
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

fromtia

Quote from: Josephus on April 04, 2020, 01:26:30 PM
Why the demand for yeast?

I have plenty of time on my hands and I'm the head of my household.Responsible for feeding son of fromtia, girlfriend of fromtia and brother of girlfriend of fromtia. No one has a job.

I'm pretty okay at cooking and baking so baking bread is a cheap way of getting everyone fed. Apparently the rest of North America has had the same idea, and I have not seen yeast in a store in weeks.

"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

garbon

I've broken down and am having beer and cider delivered. I can only drink so much wine. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quite a bit of contrast between the two posts above mine.  :hmm:

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 04, 2020, 01:01:41 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 04, 2020, 12:56:33 PM
There was plenty of yeast at my local supermarkey when I did some shopping last week. Was it on tuesday? Wednesday? Who remembers anymore?
Why are days?

Went for my daily exercise and the weather is beautiful (:weep:) local park far less busy than it would be normally and only saw small groups. Everyone trying to keep their distance.

Yes surprisingly good social distancing going on here too.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Back from the grocery store; because of the limited number of face masks available several of the shoppers improvised by wearing bandannas over their face.  It was like grocery shopping with the Dalton gang.   :ph34r::alberta:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

merithyn

Quote from: Savonarola on April 04, 2020, 04:15:15 PM
Back from the grocery store; because of the limited number of face masks available several of the shoppers improvised by wearing bandannas over their face.  It was like grocery shopping with the Dalton gang.   :ph34r::alberta:

I was in the store this morning and a large black man was coming toward me in one of the aisles. He was wearing a black face mask, the cloth kinds that are being homemade all over the place now. As I approached him, he called out in a really cheery voice, "Hallo there! Good morning to you!" I smiled and returned the greeting. It was only after I walked away that I realized that he may have been trying to not seem scary as much as just needing social interaction (from a distance). :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tamas

So, Saturday click and collect at Sainsburys was a bit of a nightmare. Something went wrong for them inside I guess because me and several other c&c people waited like an hour, meanwhile big queue of shoppers were snaking around the parking lot.

Based on that experience we wanted to book a weekday collection slot for next week, before Easter hits. No chance, suddenly no collection dates available for me. Neither in Asda.

But plenty of delivery slots were open with Sainsburys so that's what we are getting. I tried to avoid them to leave them open for people who have no other option, but ain't be queuing for an hour to discover half the shit I want is not in stock.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on April 05, 2020, 02:05:37 PM
So, Saturday click and collect at Sainsburys was a bit of a nightmare. Something went wrong for them inside I guess because me and several other c&c people waited like an hour, meanwhile big queue of shoppers were snaking around the parking lot.

Based on that experience we wanted to book a weekday collection slot for next week, before Easter hits. No chance, suddenly no collection dates available for me. Neither in Asda.

But plenty of delivery slots were open with Sainsburys so that's what we are getting. I tried to avoid them to leave them open for people who have no other option, but ain't be queuing for an hour to discover half the shit I want is not in stock.

Tamas why not try what I do, I go in the last 10-15 minutes before the sainsburys closes at 8pm, because they're apparently regularly topping up the store throughout the day, I'm usually able to buy the nearly all of the 3/4 days worth of shopping I need and the time spent in store is 3-5 minutes. Also very few people around, staff outnumber them for sure.

Sheilbh

It sounds poncey, and it is, but consider the independent retailers too - I've had far more luck arranging deliveries with local independent retailers than any of the big chains. As in, I've been able to arrange deliveries - sometimes next day or same day. This site is helpful:
https://dishpatch.co.uk/

Also since I've been doing this and basically relying on pre-picked fruit and veg boxes I've realised how much better pears are than apples :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

I've spent the last two days making masks. They're three layers of tightly woven poly/cotton. Not terribly hard to breath through and I can put them low enough on my nose they don't fog up my glasses.

I've made four so far, two with ties and two with elastic. I prefer the elastic due to ease of use.

I'm also cooking a crazy amount. Made lunches for the week today, as well as cleaned out some smaller appliances I have.

In short, I'm not coping great. At least not today.  :(

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2020, 08:31:36 PM
I've spent the last two days making masks. They're three layers of tightly woven poly/cotton. Not terribly hard to breath through and I can put them low enough on my nose they don't fog up my glasses.

I've made four so far, two with ties and two with elastic. I prefer the elastic due to ease of use.

I'm also cooking a crazy amount. Made lunches for the week today, as well as cleaned out some smaller appliances I have.

In short, I'm not coping great. At least not today.  :(

Meri, sounds like you're firing on all cylinders.  :hugs:

Certainly as compared to me, but that's a low bar.  :D

merithyn

I cope by doing. I'm... doing a lot and still feeling like I'm not coping. :(