News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bans on price gouging

Started by DGuller, March 14, 2020, 12:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

In the theoretical "free market," price gouging simply results in competitor entry into the market to take advantage of the higher prices.  If that doesn't happen nearly instantaneously, then the market isn't "free."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on March 14, 2020, 01:08:11 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 14, 2020, 01:02:55 PM
and Yi argues that capitalism isn't about screwing someone over.

You have not made a convincing case that a single person buying up thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer at $0.99/each during a crisis is a good thing. How is that not screwing people over?

If we didn't have this fear of "price gouging", the supermarket itself would have raised the price on hand sanitizer during a crisis, removing any profit for the second-hand seller.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Camerus

Better solution:  the store could limit 1 or 2 per customer. Not a perfect answer but it effectively makes hoarding much harder and more time consuming.

What social utility is there in douches like this guy:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html

Admiral Yi

As a first crack at the issue, I would say any price increase that increases supply should be allowed, whereas any price increase that limits supply should not.

For example, take my personal Spam experience.  It was essentially sold out on Friday.  Maybe if the truck driver or the stocker had been paid a corona bonus the shelf would have been full.  That cost should be passed on to me.  Same with workers at the Spam plant.

On the other hand if I. M. Profiteer had bought up the whole shelf and was selling cans at triple the normal price out of his car trunk, that should not be allowed.

The Brain

All these rules, man. What's wrong with just living by ear?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I'm pretty sure I've never used that set of words in that exact order.

I do think that most cases of people arguing that capitalism is screwing them over are in fact cases of people wishing they were paid more, or had to pay less for a product or service.

I do certainly think it's possible for capitalism to screw people over.  Case in point, the Well Fargo fake accounts.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2020, 05:42:18 PM
I do certainly think it's possible for capitalism to screw people over.  Case in point, the Well Fargo fake accounts.

I don't think I would include out and out fraud as a fault of capitalism.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2020, 05:57:53 PM

Surely that depends on the incentives and likelihood of consequences?
Let's bomb Russia!

Oexmelin

I'm pretty sure I've never used that set of words in that exact order.

How about:

Yi and screwing capitalism argues that isn't over someone?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 14, 2020, 06:02:18 PM
How about:

I can't speak for anyone else.  Screwing capitalism will have to speak for himself.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 14, 2020, 06:01:14 PM

Surely that depends on the incentives and likelihood of consequences?

Surely that is as true in a command economy as in a market one?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

I would include it as a fault of human nature.  Which can and does operate in a for-profit context.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2020, 06:09:35 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on March 14, 2020, 06:02:18 PM
How about:

I can't speak for anyone else.  Screwing capitalism will have to speak for himself.

So you agree that "Yi and argues that isn't over someone?"  I can respect that.

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2020, 01:02:07 PM
Count me on the "it's not price gouging, its the free market at work" side of things.

Normally say yes. But not in times of national emergencies.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on March 16, 2020, 12:20:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2020, 01:02:07 PM
Count me on the "it's not price gouging, its the free market at work" side of things.

Normally say yes. But not in times of national emergencies.

Why not?  We see what happens when the price doesn't increase.  Demand spikes and there are then instant shortages.  Which just encourages people to hoarde and buy as much as they can.

Right now you can't buy masks, lots of places are out of toilet paper, etc.  If stores had just increased their price you'd be able to walk into a store and buy them if you needed them badly enough.