News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on April 20, 2020, 06:08:51 AM
Museums are to open next week. There's talk of opening restaurants, with mandatory masks for staff, and a limit of how many people are allowed inside. While I think that restaurants are among the hardest hit businesses in the crisis, I don't know how much it helps them. Many are barely profitable on the best of days, and limiting the number of guests might only slow down but not remedy the issue.
The warning here is that pubs and restaurants are likely to be among the last things to reopen :(

But this is a really good point - I have no idea how the economics of restaurants work in this world. Some of my favourite ones in London are tiny - basically just a bar and 10 seats, I can't see how that survives. But then even other ones rely on people squeezed in and turning tables fairly quickly.

I have noticed that many that initially transitioned to Deliveroo have now stopped presumably because they're not making enough money that way (on the other hand there are a few pubs on the apps that will hand deliver a pint :lol:).
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

In the inner city, a lot of them seem to make money primarily with lunch menus for people working in the area, I think.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I really worry about the local board game cafe. Their margins were already tight, they just started a little over a year ago so were still in the buildup phase.
Restaurants at least have a chance with uber eats et al. But places whose entire business is in providing the conditions for people to be social...
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Tamas on April 20, 2020, 05:57:03 AM
I would treat every assumption out of Sweden with a great pinch of salt. There must be tremendous desire to justify their care home eugenics program they opted for instead of a lockdown.

Tamas, can you drop the "bargain-basement Tyr" Shtick please; it's becoming increasingly wearing as the weeks go by.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

celedhring

Restaurant profit margins are really thin, even a lot of the expensive ones. I suppose they could try to adapt by reducing staff and ingredient purchases to match the new limitations, but fixed costs will probably still do them in.

Over here talk is opening restaurants as one of the last measures, by the end of the year.

Given that Spain has the largest density in the EU of pubs/bars per population, and 12% of our GDP is tourism, we're totally fucked.

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on April 20, 2020, 07:00:02 AM
I would treat every assumption out of Sweden with a great pinch of salt. There must be tremendous desire to justify their care home eugenics program they opted for instead of a lockdown.

Tamas, can you drop the "bargain-basement Tyr" Shtick please; it's becoming increasingly wearing as the weeks go by.

Woo! Two personal attacks for the price of one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2020, 07:30:33 AM

Jealous?  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on April 20, 2020, 07:49:30 AM

Jealous?  :P

You were supposed to aim for 3 in one post. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

:huh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ättestupa
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on April 20, 2020, 05:22:51 AM
If Sweden is 30% immune with 1,500 dead that means we and Italy are probably 100% immune by now.

So, no.

30% sounds very high. Last week's estimate here was 3-5%.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

I'm not sure I understand the comparison.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Threviel

Quote from: Maladict on April 20, 2020, 07:59:03 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 20, 2020, 05:22:51 AM
If Sweden is 30% immune with 1,500 dead that means we and Italy are probably 100% immune by now.

So, no.

30% sounds very high. Last week's estimate here was 3-5%.

Random testing and statistical analysis showed that 2.5 percent of Stockholmians carried the virus 26/3-3/4. Actually had the virus active at that time.

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 20, 2020, 08:15:54 AM

I'm not sure I understand the comparison.

I don't get any of what he was going for.

DGuller

I think it's entirely conceivable that what we call a "mild" case of COVID-19 is actually already a complication, and that there is a whole group of people who got it and never suspected it.