News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

The Health Ministry has started releasing age group data. Nothing seems to contradict what's been observed so far elsewhere.

93% of dead were over 60 y/o, along with 68% of those requiring hospital care.

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on March 22, 2020, 07:55:07 AM
The Health Ministry has started releasing age group data. Nothing seems to contradict what's been observed so far elsewhere.

The thing I find most troubling is how few 80+ year old patients are admitted to ICU.

Pedrito

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2020, 06:37:00 AM

Edit: Also this reminds me of exactly what happened in Italy. The Italian authorities have said they had a spike in cases because of irresponsible behaviour of some citizens who went to the bars, cafes, restaurants and beaches - especially after the schools closed. We've done the exact same thing :ultra: :bleeding:

You're right, and this is exactly the reason why Conte have instated an even more stringent lockdown, since last night. This means every business except the essential ones will be closed, outdoor sport activity will be limited to 200 meters from home, and 200 meters for peeing the dog, supermarkets closed on sundays, a € 5.000 fine for outdoor groupings of more than 2 persons, and more (some of these only in the badly hit areas like Lombardy and Veneto).

The problem is, until some days ago we had hundreds of people running along river banks, playing soccer in the parks, or going grocery shopping two times a day, every day. Italians have a rather low sense of civic duty, so a government has to be very very strict in enforcing rules, because we tend to slip away every time we can.

Let's only hope this epidemic will be a lesson for the new generations, but I fear it won't be so - many friends of my daughter, for example, are posting instagram stories while they are at their friends' homes (hashtag #igooutside  :mad:), completely untouched by the problem. I'm not angry with the boys, but with the idiot parents that do not understand this behaviour is prolonging the lockdown, and they let their sons out only because they don't want to manage a teenager blocked inside the house since weeks.  :ultra: :ultra:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Josephus

Canada's up to 19 fatalities. I think it was just one a week ago. Puts us a week behind England.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on March 22, 2020, 08:22:34 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 22, 2020, 07:55:07 AM

The thing I find most troubling is how few 80+ year old patients are admitted to ICU.

Or they die quickly. I don't think we are turning away many critical patients just yet.

Sheilbh

So this is fascinating:

No idea why the over 80s are doing so well. My only guess is they heard the message that they were at risk and took it serious/properly cocooned.

This guy also did a gif I can't show of cases in Germany and it's really interesting. The new cases reported is kind of terrifying though because it seems fairly random.

Also slightly concerning figures in Singapore and Hong Kong, which both look like they could have a local outbreak soon. Apparently fatigue is a big issue with these sort of socially distancing measures.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I guess older people with the disease don't hang around long enough to show up on figures?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on March 22, 2020, 08:55:38 AM
I guess older people with the disease don't hang around long enough to show up on figures?
But compare with the Spanish figures for cases among over 80s. It's really weird.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2020, 08:52:09 PM
What does referring to the simple fact the AMA has identified obesity to be a disease have to do with virtue signaling, or has that term lost meaning in the US culture wars too?

The AMA has no more authority to define obesity as a disease than the ABA has to define the law such that that the sale of heroin is not a crime.  Especially when the AMA's own scientific community argued otherwise.  Your argument that the AMA definition trumps the CDC definition, and thus that "obesity is a disease by definition" reeks of ignoring the authoritative scientific evidence against your position and seeking only the non-authoritative virtue-signalling definitions that match your preferred outcome. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Two of the main vectors of infection in Germany were apparently carnival (especially in the hardest hit area) and ski tourism, both of which is mainly frequented by adults up to about 60. However, in the last days, there is widespread community transmission and new infection vectors like people coming from Iran or Alsace-Lorraine. 

There were early warnings not to visit the elderly here, maybe that helped a bit. Based on what our virologists and epidemiologists say, Germany might actually be earlier in the outbreak than some of our neighbours despite the high case number. They explain this by a higher and more aggressive testing rollout, which explains the infection/fatality ratio. But when it hits the elderly here, it is just as devastating as elsewhere.

merithyn

My neighbors had a party last night. Probably 30-40 people in the yard, dancing, drinking, etc. I saw them as I walked the dog.

Gods help us all, because we're sure as hell not helping ourselves.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on March 22, 2020, 10:13:23 AM
My neighbors had a party last night. Probably 30-40 people in the yard, dancing, drinking, etc. I saw them as I walked the dog.

Yeah. My mum - who takes it seriously because she works in a related sector and is a key worker who works with Italian and Spanish colleagues regularly so knows what is coming (though I still had to reiterate some of the guidance today :blush: - said that the local town (Dorchester) was full of people like a normal Saturday yesterday.

Lot's of them were elderly because it's quite an old county and the cafes were shut but people were just meeting in the main market street and chatting outside instead. Dorset only has 8 cases so far so it's probably not hitting home but she was amazed at how busy it was/how bad people are at following the guidance.

I think London's about to go through something like Lombardy or Madrid. The only possible benefit is the rest of the country is a few weeks behind so starts taking it seriously now :(

Also on the fatigue point I mentioned earlier - polling from Singapore is starting to show a slight decline in support for these measures. That's after a month or so - I'm not sure how we keep people in if it runs on for much more than 2-3 months.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on March 22, 2020, 10:13:23 AM

We had people packing into our beaches and parks yesterday-nice warm spring day, what could go wrong?