News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 17, 2020, 05:01:56 PM
Well, on the plus side all this talk about "Social distancing" and "Self-Isolating" means that I've just been ahead of the curve.  By 20 years in fact.

:lol:

Raz, only yesterday I was thinking 'My whole life has been a preparation for this moment'  'My time has come' :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Very good and rather sobering statement by Leo Varadkar tonight - one alarming fact, Ireland is expecting 15,000 cases by the end of the month. Ireland currently has around 250 cases :ph34r:

Talk of this as a great national effort, not isolating/"cocooning" the vulnerable yet.

He is still a cold fish, but that sort of suits the moment. Weirdly got Churchill "never will so many ask so much from so few" (in a normal time this would have had Sinn Fein going insane :lol:) :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ICKB1UoVzc

Trump/Mnuchin want to send checks directly to people "possibly in two weeks."

Senate has taken up House relief bill, noises are being made that it will be passed and then more will come on top.

Admiral Yi

Also check out that Yahoo! Finance reporter clearly working from home.

PJL

It's also being reported that transport could be nationalised for a while to deal with the crisis. It's all starting to feel like Threads but without the nuclear fallout (there's been plenty of economic fallout already). I keep reminding myself of that Protect & Survive film on how to deal with the disposal of dead relatives.

Sheilbh

In rather pleasant news, the National Trust is closing all their cafes and most of their properties - but working to open all parks and gardens to the public for free.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

BC just declared a public health emergency

Under our Health Act the Public Health officer can now issue decrees which must be followed.  And she has moved quickly to make those pronouncements.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 17, 2020, 06:26:47 PM

Under our Health Act the Public Health officer can now issue decrees which must be followed.  And she has moved quickly to make those pronouncements.

More panic measures.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on March 17, 2020, 06:30:25 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 17, 2020, 06:26:47 PM

More panic measures.

We've moved on.  :secret:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 17, 2020, 04:13:11 PM
John McAffee is trapped in Barcelona and he's losing it.  :lol:

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee

I think he lost is a long while ago, and this is just making things worse.

Then again, the one about him peeing next to a McDonalds was funny.  :P

Razgovory

Mnuchin told Republicans in the Senate that employment may rise to 20% in the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on March 17, 2020, 07:52:43 PM
Mnuchin told Republicans in the Senate that employment may rise to 20% in the US.

That's good
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on March 17, 2020, 07:55:07 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 17, 2020, 07:52:43 PM

That's good

Maybe not, given the post about the neo cons worrying that giving social assistance decreases the will to work, perhaps the Republicans will conclude the current levels are too generous and more will be cut.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on March 17, 2020, 04:24:42 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 17, 2020, 04:13:11 PM
John McAffee is trapped in Barcelona and he's losing it.  :lol:

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee

This is the anti virus guy?
Seems... Less than sane.

The very same one, although I believe he's not linked to the software any more.

He has some really wild exploits under his belt, and some really shady stuff, including some Heart of Darkness level madness in Belize, where he basically kept a pleasure palace by the beach in a remote location with a bevy of young local girlfriends, a drug lab of some sort and armed thugs for security, that ended up being raided by Belizean special police forces. He was even investigated for the murder of one of his neighbours.

Just check his wiki, the whole affair is quite mad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McAfee#Legal_issues