News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Legbiter on March 14, 2020, 02:33:57 PM
Mathematically the pandemic should peak late May, early June and we'll be out of the worst of it by the end of August. It could come back though, Spanish Flu did a few laps around the world before enough herd immunity was established globally to snuff it out. It will end, what we do personally and together will determine how many older folks will be left.

Yeah, if next 'flu' season could be a bigger problem

crazy canuck

As of Friday, 6,326 people had been tested for COVID-19 across B.C

We now have 73 cases - the old age home where we had our 1 death had 9 new cases.  So probably more deaths will occur there.

DGuller

mongers

Reuters is reporting that UK's ITN news has information that

UK to order four-month isolation for elderly: ITV

People in Britain aged over 70 will be instructed soon by the government to stay in strict isolation for four months as part of a planned response to coronavirus, broadcaster ITV's political editor said

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

God. Cruel, but probably the right decision :(

It's up to home-care workesr, families and communities now to help them while they're in isolation and, as I say, try and show them how to Facetime or get on social media because the psychological effect will be huge.
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

I really get the sense that California will go full Italy this next week, shutdown for most.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 14, 2020, 04:21:50 PM

It's up to home-care workesr, families and communities now to help them while they're in isolation and, as I say, try and show them how to Facetime or get on social media because the psychological effect will be huge.

Indeed.

But it's going to be difficult for a lot of families. I now need to draft a polite email to my brother that gets over the need to not have the grandchildren visit their grandma anytime soon.  :hmm:

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on March 14, 2020, 04:31:11 PM
I now need to draft a polite email to my brother that gets over the need to not have the grandchildren visit their grandma anytime soon.  :hmm:

I know you're British and all, but no need to be polite about it.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on March 14, 2020, 04:04:04 PM
I think CC is losing his periods. :unsure:

That's one of the early symptoms of having Covid-19, medical experts* say

*internet medical experts who are making shit up

Edit:  OMG!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on March 14, 2020, 04:39:20 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 14, 2020, 04:31:11 PM
I now need to draft a polite email to my brother that gets over the need to not have the grandchildren visit their grandma anytime soon.  :hmm:

I know you're British and all, but no need to be polite about it.

Can't throw the baby out with the bath water.  :D :bowler:

The Brain

Today I channeled Martin Prince and bought soy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 14, 2020, 04:21:50 PM

Shelf, full Robert Peston blog on issue here:

14 March 2020 at 7:58pm
Elderly could be quarantined for four months in 'wartime-style' mobilisation to combat coronavirus, writes Robert Peston
ROBERT PESTON  PESTON'S POLITICS
People over 70 will be instructed by the government to stay in strict isolation at home or in care homes for four months, writes Robert Peston.
People over 70 will be instructed by the government to stay in strict isolation at home or in care homes for four months, writes Robert Peston. Credit: PA
People over 70 will be instructed by the government to stay in strict isolation at home or in care homes for four months, under a "wartime-style" mobilisation effort by the government likely to be enforced within the next 20 days.

It is part of a series of measures being prepared by the prime minister, health secretary, chief medical officer and chief scientific adviser to prevent the health service from "falling over" and to save lives as Covid-19 becomes an epidemic in the UK.

Other measures already being planned include:
the forced requisitioning of hotels and other buildings as temporary hospitals;
the requisitioning of private hospitals as emergency hospitals;
temporary closure of pubs, bars and restaurants - some time after next weekend's ban on mass gatherings;
emergency manufacture by several companies of respirators that would be necessary to keep alive those who become acutely ill;
the closure of schools for perhaps a few weeks, but with skeleton staff kept on to provide childcare for key workers in the NHS and police.

Full article:
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-14/elderly-to-be-quarantined-for-four-months-in-wartime-style-mobilisation-to-combat-coronavirus/

Sheilbh

Yeah - Matt Hancock has now written about some of these measures (non-paywalled in the Telegraph). It sounds like at this stage it'll be legislation which gives the government those emergency powers if needed.

But they all sound like sensible measures in a pandemic. It's extraordinary though.

Edit: I keep thinking about that epidemiologist (one of the modellers) who was asked what it'll be like at the end of the pandemic and he said it will have changed our society. He said in terms of similar experiences he could think of, he's from London, and his mother would talk about the blitz 60 years after it happened even though as he put it the loss of life was actually "only 40,000". And he said he thinks will be the same, we may keep the mortality low (from an epidemiological perspective - so still scary from a human perspective) but it'll be something we talk about when we're in our 80s.
Let's bomb Russia!