Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

So yeah, by now hundreds of vehicles slowly circling the ring and honking like crazy. I can hear them faintly through my closed windows a few hundred meters away. Fucking assholes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Legbiter

Mom, Dad and 2 of my sisters all have covid. Pops has no symptoms, mom and my sisters have minor sniffles. No coughing or fever, just a runny nose. They're on day 3-4. This is a completely different disease from a year ago. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

This kind of protest was used once by the Hungarian opposition in 2020, can't remember which dubious fascist law it was about (the list is long), but it was maybe a dozen car tops I think. Still the police was all over it.

Tamas

Quote from: Legbiter on February 11, 2022, 10:51:46 AM
Mom, Dad and 2 of my sisters all have covid. Pops has no symptoms, mom and my sisters have minor sniffles. No coughing or fever, just a runny nose. They're on day 3-4. This is a completely different disease from a year ago. :hmm:

That's promising hopefully it will stay that way for them. :)

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on February 11, 2022, 10:53:57 AM
This kind of protest was used once by the Hungarian opposition in 2020, can't remember which dubious fascist law it was about (the list is long), but it was maybe a dozen car tops I think. Still the police was all over it.

Suposedly police keep writing them up and pulling out the worst offenders, but still. This is what a "disallowed protest" looks like if you're not on the left side of the political spectrum:

https://twitter.com/IT_Zwerg/status/1492163990226710529?s=20&t=ilGeExLmKvjr9YpfxAwZcw

(Their main protest at 6 pm at Heldenplatz was not disallowed and will go ahead as planned.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Legbiter

Quote from: Tamas on February 11, 2022, 10:54:36 AMThat's promising hopefully it will stay that way for them. :)

Yeah they'll be fine. One of my sisters was flying out to New York and went to get tested before the flight and came back positive. Since they'd all met the day before the rest did home tests and some came back positive. Otherwise I'm not sure they'd ever have known.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Jacob

The fact that they have it is unfortunate, but the part about how severe it is is great to hear.

Iormlund

This is a completely different disease from a year ago. :hmm:

A colleague of mine caught Delta a week before his first jab appointment (in July). His was a "moderate" case. Hasn't been able to get back to work yet, seven months later.

I asked today how he was doing: "Like a 33 year old trapped in an 80 year old body".

mongers

Quote from: Iormlund on February 11, 2022, 03:08:36 PM
This is a completely different disease from a year ago. :hmm:

A colleague of mine caught Delta a week before his first jab appointment (in July). His was a "moderate" case. Hasn't been able to get back to work yet, seven months later.

I asked today how he was doing: "Like a 33 year old trapped in an 80 year old body".

A good anecdote to remind one Covid-19 still isn't just a walk in the park for many.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

A guy I know is going to get his finger amputated because of Covid. I had no idea this could happen.

DGuller

I remember that at last the original Covid was notorious for micro blood clots, I don't know if that's still an issue.  I remember a Broadway actor early on in pandemic who lost a leg, and ultimately still didn't make it. 

I hope the reason for Covid brain fog in people with long Covid is not microclotting in the brain, because if it is, it sounds like something long-term and not fully recoverable from.  Once the blood stops going somewhere, that somewhere is never the same again.

Iormlund

Quote from: DGuller on February 13, 2022, 12:17:12 PM
I remember that at last the original Covid was notorious for micro blood clots, I don't know if that's still an issue.  I remember a Broadway actor early on in pandemic who lost a leg, and ultimately still didn't make it. 

I hope the reason for Covid brain fog in people with long Covid is not microclotting in the brain, because if it is, it sounds like something long-term and not fully recoverable from.  Once the blood stops going somewhere, that somewhere is never the same again.

I read somewhere that there were genetic similarities in those with covid brain fog and predisposition to stuff like dementia (I think - might have been Parkinson's or Alzheimer's). And also that autopsies had revealed that the virus tends to concentrate in brain tissue.

Syt

Quote from: Syt on February 11, 2022, 09:28:09 AM
Meanwhile: vaccination mandate. Technically it's in effect, but implementation remains a bit, I want to say: "Open to interpretation"? Also the heads of some Austrian (all of them were in favor, originally) are now starting to backpedal, because they realize it might cost them 10-15% come next elections. :bleeding:

... and the chancellor now also says that the vaccination mandate "isn't set in stone."

The economics minister has suggested that free large scale PCR and antigene testing should also come to an end.
—Stephen Jay Gould

ulmont

Comparisons between covid and polio (stats generally hold up if you check the CDC):

https://twitter.com/pookleblinky/status/1475511420938764289

Syt

Austria plans to scale back measures significantly from 5th March onwards. Masking may be retained for certain areas (shops, public transport).

Vienna has already signaled that they will likely continue with stricter restrictions even after that date.
—Stephen Jay Gould